sam.eade is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Creating a Search Form using query

Hi,

I have created a table with a name field and then multiple boolean criteria fields and then created a query relating to these values in the table.
    I have then created a search form, where the user will check tick boxes and then hit a button which opens the query. (trying to be used as a search form)

I have linked the fields in the query to the tick boxes using the criteria [Forms]![SearchForm]![TickBox1] to return values when the box is ticked and the value is Yes in the table.

My PROBLEM is that if I tick one box, it will only return the records where ONLY that field is TRUE. Records are only returned when ALL of the values are matching.

Is there a way to return a record if all of the search criteria are true, even if the record has many more fields as TRUE?

Thank you

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never found a way to have dynamic query filter parameters on yes/no fields. I generally avoid dynamic queries of any kind. I use VBA to build filter criteria and apply filter to forms and reports.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sam.eade is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Hmmm, my solution (although not perfect) was to change all the tick boxes to triple state and set them as Null by default. Then changed all the criteria to Like "*" & [Forms]![SearchForm]![TickBox1] & "*". So the first search works great, had to add in a refresh button that users push between searches to set all the values back to null though.

The problem arises if people who aren't familiar with it keep changing their minds because then boxes are set to false rather than null. It's got design flaws but I couldn't think of another way around it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.