bignate is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Query wont show records with a blank field

Hi,

I have a query by form that has the criteria Like [Forms]![FormName]![ControlName] & "*" for each field. However the problem is that if one of the records have at least one blank field then the whole record wont show up in the query results. For example if there is a record with Fullname, and Age filled in but Address isn't filled in then if search Adam into the query by form the record wont show up because the address line is blank.

To make records that have a blank field show I know I could use Like Forms![FormName]![ControlName] & "*" Or Forms![FormName]![ControlName] Is Null but when I have used it, it has corrupted the query because I think if you use If Is Null many times in one query it becomes too complex for it to process. AlsoThe other method is to use Nz in an expression but I cant do that because I want the query results to show up in a form where you can edit the records and the error message Field is based on an expression and can not be edited comes up if you try to edit the records.

So my question is does anyone know anything else I could put into the criteria to show records that may have a blank field?

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You tried applying criteria to the Nz calced field and including the native field on form and that won't allow record edit? Works for me.

Only alternative I can see is VBA code to construct filter string and pass the filter with WHERE argument of DoCmd.OpenForm or to set the Filter property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bignate is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I entered the whole is null statements but into the SQL view and saved it in SQL view and that way the query doesn't corrupt.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.