th1nker is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Linking one linked table to another

I have two linked tables in Access. The first table is linked to an excel spreadsheet which we require to input data. This is because one of our machine vendors insists upon using excel to store data. The second linked table is in our MySQL database. Both linked tables work exactly as intended. The excel one sees any changes made on excel, and the MySQL one sees all the entries in MySQL, and is able to modify, and add entries. What I want to do from here is to select any records which are added to the excel file, and insert them into MySQL.

To clarify what I want to do, here is an example: Machine A is constantly logging state changes and errors to an excel spreadsheet. All of these records appear on the linked table in MS Access. All of these records need to be inserted into the MySQL linked table in Access so that they appear on the database.

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to write a query/vba script? I am comfortable doing both.
    Any advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance for your time =)

Additional info:

I need this process to be automated, and cannot manually export and import files. I welcome suggestions to do it another way, but the most likely case is that I will use Excel -> Access -> MySQL. I cannot change the data source; it will remain an excel spreadsheet.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Will have to use INSERT and/or UPDATE sql actions which can be executed through VBA code in some event such as form Open or button Click.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ah, that's what I thought. Clicking a button every time you want to update/insert might get tedious, so is it possible to use a row insert (new record added) as an event? This way, whenever the excel linked table is updated, it triggers an insert/update statement?

June7 is offline VIP
    Row insert event code in Excel? Not that I am aware of.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry, I was thinking row insert event code in access (the linked table for excel).

June7 is offline VIP
    Can't edit Excel file from Access. AFAIK, the linked worksheet has no events.

I appreciate the help!

Edit:
    I am working on a solution to my inquiry and will be posting it as soon as I resolve it. I expect it to be resolved later today or early tomorrow.

EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Could you use the timer event? Every so often (1 minute, 15 minutes, etc.) count the rows. If the row count is higher than the previous row count, copy the new rows from Excel to MySQL.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.