chronister is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Selecting items in multi-select list box

Hello,

I have a list box that I have populated via VBA. As it is populating, I am also running another query to determine if this item is in another table. If so, then I want to select / highlight it. If not, move on.

Here is the loop and all works fine except the volunteerInterests.Selected(i) line. What am I missing?

Code:
    Do While Not rs.EOF
                thisInterestID = rs.Fields("interestID").Value
                whereClause = "volunteerID = " & ID & " AND interestID = " & thisInterestID
                volunteerInterests.AddItem thisInterestID & ";" & rs.Fields("interestName").Value, i

If Not IsNull(DLookup("ID", "tblVolunteerInterests", whereClause)) Then

volunteerInterests.Selected(i) = True  ' THIS LINE IS NOT WORKING TO HIGHLIGHT THE JUST ADDED ITEM

End If
          rs.MoveNext
          i = i + 1
       Loop
    Thanks

Hello everyone,

Hope all are doing well!

Truly what I want to do is this, but can't find a good way to make it happen .....

I have a table called tblVolunteerInterestAreas that holds areas of volunteering interest ( [interestID] [interestName] [interestDescription] )

I have a table of volunteers with the PK called ID and a table called tblVolunteerInterests that holds volunteerID and interestID

On my Volunteers information form, I want a checkbox for each of the tblVolunteerInterestAreas records, and if the current volunteer [ID] and the interestID is in my joining table then the checkbox is checked.

I have tried to dynamically create checkboxes, but got errors about having to be in design mode.

The only thing I can think of is to create a from from scratch dynamically via VBA and populate it with what I want to display to the user and they make their choices, hit update and the form gets destroyed.

I have the basic structure above with looping through the records of the interestsAreas table and running a dlookup to determine if the volunteer and the current interest and volunteer exist for the checked / unchecked logic above.
    Any help / tips / guidance on this task would be super helpful.

Thanks,

Nate

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The only thing I can think of is to create a from from scratch dynamically via VBA and populate it with what I want to display to the user and they make their choices, hit update and the form gets destroyed.
    This will entail *lots* of code and cause massive database bloat (even if you can do it).

The problem with using check boxes is that the interests can change. Interests can be added, changed or deleted. This would mean you would have to edit the forms if you had check boxes on them.

Have you thought about using a form/sub-form arrangement?

It would be a lot to explain (sub form & list box) so I created an example dB.

Thank you for your time to reply.

I have been working on it and I have a solution. Since the main list of possible interest areas must be flexible as they add or remove areas to volunteer in, I have my tables setup like I said. Interest Areas Table | Volunteer Interest Table | Volunteer Table

I have a button that triggers my code which goes to the database, grabs the items in the Interest Areas table, loops through them. Opens a blank (save for 2 buttons) form and generates the checkboxes. It can hold up to about 20 with the size window I have now. As it creates these, it runs a dlookup to see if the volunteerID (passed and stored in a generated hidden text field) has an entry in the middle table that joins the 2. If so, it checks it, if not, it leaves it blank.

The update process is not too bad either. Since the checks are dynamically generated I named them check_X where X is the number of the interest ID. When the update button is clicked, it deletes all entries from the middle table that exist for this user, and then adds the new ones back in.

It is really not a bad process. 1 form, and a couple of subs. In case anyone is looking to do this kind of thing, here is the code I used. If anyone can show me improvements in the coding, then please do.

Click button that says Edit Interests -> the misspelled click procedure runs.

Code:
    Private Sub viewIntersts_Click()
        DoCmd.OpenForm "frmInterestsSubform", acDesign
            createInterestControls (ID)
        DoCmd.OpenForm "frmInterestsSubform", acNormal

End Sub

Private Function createInterestControls(volunteerID)
        Dim db As DAO.Database
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
        Dim sqlStr As String
        Set db = CurrentDb
        Dim i As Long
        Dim col As Long

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestID, tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestName, tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestDescription FROM tblVolunteerInterestAreas ORDER BY tblVolunteerInterestAreas.[interestName]")
        If (rs.RecordCount <> 0) Then

i = 1
            Dim ctrl_i As Control
            col = 1
            x = 0
            y = 0
            leftStart = 200
            topStart = 200

leftOffset = 1300
            topOffset = 300

Set volunteerIDField = CreateControl("frmInterestsSubform", acTextBox, acDetail, , , 5000, 50, 500, 300)
                volunteerIDField.Name = "volunteerID"
                volunteerIDField.DefaultValue = volunteerID
                volunteerIDField.Visible = False

Do While Not rs.EOF
                thisInterestID = rs.Fields("interestID").Value
                thisInterestName = rs.Fields("interestName").Value

' start a new column
                If i > (col * 10) Then
                    col = col + 1
                    x = 0
                    y = y + 1
                End If

Set ctrl_i = CreateControl("frmInterestsSubform", acCheckBox, acDetail, , , leftStart + ((leftOffset * y) * col), topStart + (topOffset * x), 175, 175)
                ctrl_i.Name = "check_" & thisInterestID
                Set label_i = CreateControl("frmInterestsSubform", acLabel, acDetail, "check_" & thisInterestID, , leftStart + ((leftOffset * y) * col) + 200, topStart + (topOffset * x) - 50, 2500, 235)

label_i.Caption = thisInterestName
                label_i.FontWeight = 700

If Not IsNull(DLookup("ID", "tblVolunteerInterests", "volunteerID = " & ID & " AND interestID = " & thisInterestID)) Then
                ctrl_i.DefaultValue = True
            Else
                ctrl_i.DefaultValue = False
             End If
          rs.MoveNext
          i = i + 1
          x = x + 1

Loop
    End If

End Function
    Which creates this form.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	listscreenshot.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	13567

Click the update button and then to process.....

Code:
    Private Sub updateInterests_Click()

Dim db As DAO.Database
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
        Dim sqlStr As String
        Set db = CurrentDb
        Dim theFieldName As String

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
          DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE FROM tblVolunteerInterests WHERE volunteerID = " & volunteerID
          DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestID, tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestName, tblVolunteerInterestAreas.interestDescription FROM tblVolunteerInterestAreas ORDER BY tblVolunteerInterestAreas.[interestName]")
        If (rs.RecordCount <> 0) Then
        Do While Not rs.EOF
                ID = rs.Fields("interestID").Value
            If Me.Controls("check_" & ID) Then
              DoCmd.SetWarnings False
            DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO tblVolunteerInterests (volunteerID, interestID) Values (" & volunteerID & ", " & ID & "); "
            DoCmd.SetWarnings True
            End If
        rs.MoveNext
       Loop

End If
       Forms!Volunteers!volInterestsListbox.Requery
        DoCmd.Close , , acSaveNo
    End Sub
    Likely very sloppy, but it works and does exactly what I want. A dynamic check box list that allows users to choose from them.

Thanks,

nate

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.