clchapin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Combo Box Will Not Requery

I have a form with three combo boxes. The selection in the first two boxes set the variables in the query to populate the third combo box. In other words, the user selects a site and an account number and based on those selections, the next box displays the projects specific to that site and account. I have a simple Me!cboProjects.Requery method in the AfterUpdate property of the 2nd combo box.

There is a user interface .mdb file on the user's desktop and then all the data is linked from an .mdb file on a server. This has all worked just fine for four years starting with an Access 2007 on Windows XP configuration and upgrading along the way. We have recently upgraded our client machines to Office 2013 and now the function fails. No code was changed. The same database client on a machine with Office 2010 works just as it always did. Run that client with Office 2013 and there is no resulting data set to select in the final list. There are no error messages. There are just no results.

When trying to troubleshoot this, I inserted a break point before the Me!cboProjects.Requery method on the chance that perhaps that was no longer a supported method in 2013. When that break point fires and I then "continue", then the system works just as expected. I can remove the break point and all works (I get results in the project combo box) .... until I quit the application and start it again. Showing users how to set that break point and remove it for each session isn't a viable solution.

I have tried to build the form from scratch. No luck. I have tried to recreate just the form in a new database. If I pull in the data into tables locally, all is good - but that isn't a viable solution on a multi-user database. Once I link to the server housed data, it fails again. This may be network related which means I'm on my own. However, the first two combo-boxes are populated from queries pulled from the remote database and they work just fine. I have many other form / data functions and everything works fine. I have other forms in this database which use the same idea of the results of one combo-box providing a filter variable for the query that drives the next combo box - and that works. And if it were solely network related why does everything work when the client is Office 2010?

I have read some other threads where the issue appears related to Trusted Locations. I have those Trusted Locations set up - and everything else works pulling from that remote database.

I have attached a truncated database that includes the functional part of the form and a few queries. This is what I have been using to eliminate as much extraneous noise as possible .... but it still fails in the same way as the active database. Unfortunately, it pulls from linked tables so it may be rather pointless.

I'm out of ideas. I will probably look at other ways to get the user to set the parameters and select the appropriate project. But it would be nice to learn if there is some new twist in 2013 that I've tripped over. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

colleen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    ummm. seems like a time issue.

When you have a moment between, it works.

Try inserting an (unacceptable) 2-second delay before the requery. If that fixes it, then you have a slowness issue. It may be the 2013 is not talking politely to your network or receiving prompt replies.

Question - are you doing the traditional "hold an open line to a fake table on the server", or is Access having to reestablish a connection in order to accomplish that requery?

clchapin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thank you, Dal.

That's the best short term solution I could come up with as well. I am not holding a connection to a fake table - maybe I should consider that in general. I try to keep things relatively simple. It's odd that this is the only "combo box filter results to next combo box" issue I have - and it was all good until 2013. And, once I get the filter kick started it's good for the rest of the user's session. They can enter 2 more records, 10 more records, etc. and all works once I get that first one to populate.

Even though Office 2013 is physically installed to the computer, there is some magic cloud stuff that happens and I have noticed latency in the other applications as well. Maybe the query I have here is just a little too complex to fire smoothly in this situation. I will also look at re-architecting things on that level.

On the off chance that anyone else had stumbled upon something similar all of a sudden stop working in 2013, I thought I'd ask the world ...

thank you.

colleen

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You're welcome.

The first question I ask myself when I hear a new problem is,

If I WANTED that to happen, how would I do it?
    That provides the insight to find any simple-to-moderately-complex answers. Tehy may not be RIGHT, but they're plausible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.