DOREEN724 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Creating a column within an existing document in numerical order

Can you tell me how to create a column that will be in numerical order? This is within a document that already exists ( I am new to access and didn't create this). The first column does continue in numerical order after the data is input. I need the second column to do this too. Instead of using ctrl c then ctrl v, I want the second column just to continue in numerical order after I input the prior number. I will past an example of what I have been working on. (for this document, the second column is all messed up. I want the second column to just continue in numerical order) Also I would like to know how to copy the date and then past for the remainder of the document instead of just using the ctrl c then the ctrl v for each cell. Thanks in advance.

PWP SERIAL NUMBERSID SERIAL NUMBER CUSTOMER ID DATE SALES ORDER #
    1 510875 VER01 6/21/2011 192266
    2 510879 WEE00 6/21/2011 192278

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    1) Is this a "document", or an input form that can also produce a report?

2) If you are inputting data, do you really want it to resequence into serial number order when you are in the middle of inputting data, or do you just want it to be in that order when opening the form and when actually printing a report?

3) Is the PWP SERIAL NUMBERSID an actual data field in the underlying table, or is it merely a convenient line number added by the display form?

DOREEN724 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal Jeanis View Post
    1) Is this a "document", or an input form that can also produce a report?

2) If you are inputting data, do you really want it to resequence into serial number order when you are in the middle of inputting data, or do you just want it to be in that order when opening the form and when actually printing a report?

3) Is the PWP SERIAL NUMBERSID an actual data field in the underlying table, or is it merely a convenient line number added by the display form?

This is an input form that can also produce a report.

I would like the SERIAL NUMBER field to continue in numerical order at point of input.

The PWP SERIAL NUMBERSID is and actual field.

In other words, I would like the Serial Number field to automatically put the next number in like the PWP field does.

If I can get it to do what I would like it to, it would appear something like this:

1 51086
    2 51087
    3 51088
    4 51089

I would input the 51086, then automatically the 51087 would be input upon the E/R key stroke like the "2" does upon the E/R key stroke.

Hopefully you are following me?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.