Yamilet is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Novice/ Need help at creating a relationship

Hi, I have a database that contains a total of 1590 records. (it tracks the Last and First names, SSN, Occupation, License type and the expiration date for each license).
    As we hire new medical personnel (every two weeks) I have to add them to this data base so I figure I create a new TABLE because before they become permanent employees the hiring process is very long and it has to be tracked so I thought that I could create a table that communicate with the existing one so I wouldn't have to add their names at the end of the process but I just cannot figure it out.

In my novice mind it sounds simple: relate the tables (somehow), create only one form (that somehow updates both tables) and is a done deal well, I already transferred all the data (one by one I must add because the system does not allow to copy or transfer) it took me over a month to get all that information into access, I cannot give up now. Please help.

Unfortunately I cannot attach the one I created at home to practice on because is too big and the more records I delete the bigger it gets, I just don't get it.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    1) Compact and Repair will get rid of the stored deleted data that is making your database bigger.

2) If the system does not allow copy or transfer, what did you do to get them out? Manual typing? Literally any report out of your other system, if it can be turned into plain text, or excel spreadsheet, or even a word document, can be imported into Access. It's not trivial for a beginner, but it's something you can learn, with a little effort. Then it'll be trivial.

3) I don't understand what the rest of your question is. You figured to do it that way, you think it's a done deal, so what is the problem?

I want to create a table to track the hiring process while at the same time adding only the main relevant information to the main table (i.e. Last, first name, ssn, license number and expiration date).

The easiest way to do that is with a form/subform arrangement. On the form, you only put the fields from the main table that you want to use. Put the primary key for the main table, but don't display it, because the user should never see it or care what it is.

On the second table, you have a primary key field, but it is NOT an autonumber. When you create the record, it will use the key from the main table.

The subform will have the key field from the second table, again, invisible, because the user should never see it. That will be the master/child link field between the two forms.

so, I dont need to first create a relationship between the two tables?

Formal relationship is optional, but not difficult.

Database tools tab, relationships, add tables that you need, click on one of the two key fields and drag to the other.

This would be a one-to-one relationship, nothing special to do in that regard. The important thing is to make sure your second table is set up with a key field, unique, but NOT autonumber.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.