Clayton is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Characters offset at print time, the cost of which is 22% of my textbox height!

Hi! I searched around the net and these forums for an answer to this question, and haven't found one. Hopefully someone here can help.

In textboxes, when I print (or use print preview) the text in the textboxes is shift downward by about 1mm. It’s bad enough that in report view mode there’s an overly-large band of white space at the top of my text box, but when I go to print preview (a shame the report view doesn’t match the print preview by default, which has led to much “######” in place of data). I want to eliminate this waste of space.

To iterate a little clearer: When I print a report, there’s about 1 full mm between the top of the textbox and the top of my text. Between the bottom of the text and the bottom of the textbox, there is a very thin band of whitespace (approximately 0.1mm or maybe “Hairline”), and I can control the size of this whitespace by changing the height of the textbox. I want to control the whitespace at the top of the textbox as well, because 1mm is a waste of space and I wanna cram things in. Before you say it, even if I shouldn’t cram things in, I want the ability to. The top and bottom margins are, of course, set to zero. So, of course, are the paddings.

I was thinking I could draw custom lines around these textboxes, horizontal lines that are below the top of the textbox, but then I’d run in to another problem: I can’t cause the top of a textbox to be above zero, so I’d then have whitespace appear on the report as though it were between each entry (each entry being the various records displayed).

Any solutions? I know there are extended options for things if you create a VBA module. Just open the object, and go to the properties in the VBA module and you can get extended control; however, I have not searched these options (yet). Any ideas?

Clayton is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Bump Bump!

Anyone got any solutions? I have since learned that MsAccess actually measures in TWIPS, and every 15 TWIPS (at least for me, using PdfCreator, with a resolution of 1200DPI) is when MsAccess actually recognises a change.
    I'll even provide some knowledge I recently gained that helped me a lot with MSAccess reports:
    Knowing this has helped my formatting a lot. 1 TWIP = 1 TWentieth of a Inch Point. 1 Point of an Inch = 1/72 Inch. 1 Inch = 1440 Twip.
    I was having a problem where when I'd added things to a layout, and things weren't adding up. Here's an example of the cause and solution:
    All gridline weights set to hairline, all padding set to zero. I'd have two cells next to each other. The left cell had a Left of 0.000 cm and a Width of 0.148cm. Now, you'd expect the Left if the cell immediately to the right to be 0.148 cm, right? I mean, Left+Width = Right, an cell with a width of 0.148 cm and a left of zero; now you'd expect that the left of the cell immediately to the right would be 0.148cm, right? I mean, LEFT + WIDTH = RIGHT, and if cells are automatically aligned so that they are next to each other, then the RIGHT of one cell should be the LEFT of the next cell, correct? Well, the left of the next cell over was 0.159cm. This kind of thing gets to be a problem after a while. Once I figured out 15 TWIPS was the change point, I knew I needed to choose either 0.132 cm (75 TWIP) or 0.159 cm (90 TWIP). So, I copied out the widths into a spreadsheet, and adjusted them to the nearest 15 TWIPs.

To adjust measurements directly in twips, go to the properties of your report (hint: F4 brings up the properties window), go to the Other tab in the properties window, set Has Module to Yes, press Alt-F11 to bring up VBA, then inside VBA press F4 to bring up the VBA properties. Then, select the cell in question, then go into that cell's properties in VBA, and you will see height, width, left, and top measured in TWIPS. You will also see many other advanced properties that you (AFAIK) can't access any other way.

Note that changing the gridline widths will cause extra 15TWIP blocks to be used. Zero extra 15TWIP blocks will be used for a non-transparent left gridline width of Hairline or 1pt, one extra 15TWIP block will be used at a gridline width of 2pt, and then another at gridline width of 5pt.

Any questions?

So... Any answers? I REALLY want that extra 2 or 3 millimeters PER ROW that's WASTED AS WHITE SPACE! > Any clues? has anyone devoted a lot of time to solving this and come to the conclusion that all attempts are futile? Even knowing from someone who knows that it cannot be done (or, at least, cannot be feasibly done) would be quite helpful!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.