jeffz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Lightbulb Beginner looking for tips on where to start!

Hi,

I will start by saying i have no knowledge with MS Access but i am a fast learner and consider myself intelligent but not necessarily tech savvy . If someone would please point me in the right direction to achieve my goal, i would greatly appreciate it. I would like to create a multi-database (please ignore my misuse of words) which can be interlinked to form different pages all rooting from one master database. i think i just confused myself, so i will try to do my best to explain through examples.

Questions - Original database where all my questions are stored.
    MTTR - Second Database where my questions are organized by pulling from the "questions" database.
    PCG - Third Database where my questions are organized from the "MTTR" database.

The idea behind what i am trying to achieve, is my sources are constantly changing, so i would like to be able to individually change select items as needed from each database and have it auto change in all databases.

Ex: (Letters represent my questions)
    Questions A and C are both related to the same topic(X), and B and D are both related to another topic(Y). I would like my MTTR database to be able to pull from my questions database by identifying/grouping by topics, X or Y. 1-4 are number identifiers on each questions which will also be used to filter for another database.

Questions database = Organized
    4-x-A
    2-y-B
    1-x-C
    3-y-D

MTTR database = Pulling from questions database but Organized by X/Y instead
    4-x-A
    1-x-C
    2-y-B
    3-y-D

PCG database = Using the numbers assigned to each question to auto organize but say i chose to filter only 1-2.
    1-x-C
    2-y-B

Now my finished project would now make it where if i changed question A to question E, all other databases pulling question "A" would automatically change to E. Or if i choose to change my MTTR databases function on what information it needs to pull, instead of X and Y, its wants X, Y, and Z! it would automatically auto update this database to include all questions identified with a Z.

My actually databases will be in more depth but i figured i can figure it out through trial and error, or by researching online how to do it. So is my goal able to be achieved through MS Access? Any thoughts on how to accomplish this goal? will i need to learn about MS Access macros? this program is not needed for my job, i am more less doing this as a side project which is why i would rather not spend hours researching functions i wont actually use to accomplish this project. Please point me in the right direction! Thank you in advance.

Cheers Z!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    By 'database' do you really mean a table?

If you changed the A record (No 4) in Questions table to an E in that field then that value could be reflected in related records of other tables.

Which fields are the primary and foreign keys?

I am just not sure if you are describing a relational database. What do you mean by 'pull' information. MTTR won't 'know' to pull X, Y, Z without some guidance either by data entry of a Z record in MTTR or some code based on some parameters I can't begin to guess at.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jeffz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    By 'database' do you really mean a table?

If you changed the A record (No 4) in Questions table to an E in that field then that value could be reflected in related records of other tables.

Which fields are the primary and foreign keys?

I am just not sure if you are describing a relational database. What do you mean by 'pull' information. MTTR won't 'know' to pull X, Y, Z without some guidance either by data entry of a Z record in MTTR or some code based on some parameters I can't begin to guess at.
    in my particular case, i use "database" as something where i can compile a large amount of questions and organize them by attaching numbers/topics/keywords.

so if i had 100 questions total: 25 of each type of question.
    math
    english
    science
    history
    these questions are randomly placed inside a large question pool. not really organized, but then i attach keywords/topics/numbers to them using MS Access. so now they become: 100 questions but with "tags" now.
    1 - math - hard
    2 - english - easy
    3 - science - moderate
    4 - history - extreme
    so i have 100 questions of mixed information but at least organized with "tags" so be able to filter through by using another page/table/database...something that i can set to search my original database for a specific keyword "tag" and it will find every question attached to this keyword and automatically fill in a new page. so if on my new page i request it finds all questions with a "tag" of easy.
    i get 25 questions based on english. or if i asked it to find all questions of extreme and hard, i receive 50 questions of math and history. or if i set this new page to find me all questions which are labeled/"tagged" with the number 2... it finds them.

i would like it to also be flexible. so say later down the road. english now becomes 2- english - moderate. well by me just changing the "tag" on english from easy to moderate, i would like my interlinked pages to automatically update as well. meaning if my second page that was gathering all data with the "tag" moderate, only had science at the time, now it has science and english because they both are tagged as moderate.

Cheers Z!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Queries are the means to search and filter tables.

All you described can be done.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.