KingOf206 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question error when search for multiple records.. WHY?

I have attached an image of the search error I get. I have multiple users (10+) that use forms to enter in new data all the time. I have only 1 user that I give access to a specific form that she uses to take care of errors that happen. as you can see she can search by F name L name and other criteris.

My issue is that when other users are entering in data I get this error box that pops up. I would like it so that she can search for records and fix them all while users are still entering in data.

How Can i get this search form to work without having everyone log out of the data entry forms they are using?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	search error.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	12998

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    are the four fields you're showing as visible bound controls? (i.e. are they linked directly to the table) or are they unbound controls and when you click the button it's opening up a different form or showing some controls that we can't see?

If they are BOUND controls that's likely what your problem is, you want to use UNBOUND controls to select your record(s)

All feilds are unbound

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    are the four fields you're showing as visible bound controls? (i.e. are they linked directly to the table) or are they unbound controls and when you click the button it's opening up a different form or showing some controls that we can't see?

If they are BOUND controls that's likely what your problem is, you want to use UNBOUND controls to select your record(s)

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    so what's the code behind your button then?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	13001 I hope this is what you mean. This is what is being it in the "build event"

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you're opening a query as a datasheet and allowing edits.

Have you tried, instead, to create a form based on your data source (table with a criteria and no linked tables) and seeing if that helps, I do not have access to 2010 but.

another option is to create an unbound form for your 'correcting' person which would cut down on some of the sharing issues.

how would i create an unbound form only for the "correcting person' ? wouldnt that still show up on everyone elses computer? I am still learning access. How would I go about creating a form based on my data srouce with no linked tables?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you can use something like environ("Username") to determine who your user is, and if it's your 'correcting' person, make the button to open their form visible or invisible as you choose in the ON LOAD or ON OPEN of your main form.

Let's say your data that you're going to correct is in tblTest, but tblTest contains a FK (foreign key) to tblEmployees and tblItem, if the query you're calling up is pulling up a query that is linking them that could be causing some problems. What you'd want to do is build the form on the TABLE tblTest and have the employee and item be combo boxes where the bound field is the employeeID and ItemID in your tblTest rather than linking the tables directly into the data entry dataset.

If you aren't familiar with building unbound data entry forms don't start with it.

What you can also try is have some unbound controls on your data entry form and you can requery your form based on the search criteria of those unbound controls

For instance. Let's say you want to search by employee

In the unbound combo box on your data entry screen you'd have 2 columns, the employeeID field and a concantenation of firstname and last name (i.e. EmployeeName: Lastname & ", " & firstname)

Your data entry row source would then be something like SELECT * FROM tblTest WHERE (EmployeeID) = [forms]![FORMNAME]![EMPLOYEELOOKUPFIELDNAME]

Then in the ON EXIT property (for example) of the combo box you'd have a requery command

me.requery

I wil atempt to do that tommorow. If I can figure it out... I will let you konw what happens (with pics) tommorow.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Being a multi-user environment, the first question would be is it split into a Front End/Back End configuration, with the Back End (with all Tables) on a shared drive and a copy of the Front End (with everything except the Tables) on each user's hard drive?

If it is not split, you have to understand that having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior, including the problem you're having, now! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past seven years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing these kinds of problems as well as massive data lose! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

The record, by the way, was a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started exhibiting all of the symptoms listed above and continued to do so until the app was split.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Sounds like I need to do some research on how to SPLIT a db up so that all the tables /data are seperate from all the front end entry that needs to be done. anywhere you can point me to a good explainanation of that so I can get started?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Here’s a good tutorial on the subject:

http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php...atid=24:design

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.