vincent-leeway is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Why MS-Access programming?

Actually I am primarily a VB programmer, I see many of my colleagues doing access programming for every thing, right from writing SQL queries to writing program logic. Are there any real advantages by opting for access programming than much advanced VB or C# except the very obvious price factor?

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Your question has me scratching my head.
    1) If you are storing information, the question isn't Access vs C#, the question is Access vs MySQL or Oracle or SQL Server or ... etc.
    2) Access provides a simple, convenient platform for small, self-contained applications that store and process information, especially if they need to use Microsoft automation in order to drive other Microsoft applications.
    3) The Access visual interface is a convenient way to quickly write SQL queries - that IS the purpose of Access - although for complex queries I prefer to code my own (and I wish the darn product would stop eating my carriage returns).
    4) Access VBA is not very different from the other dozen VBs that I've worked with. It's appropriate for self-contained applications, and it is interoperable to other Microsoft applications and to other database products with the usual compatibility caveats that you always run into.
    5) I don't know of any "obvious price factor" involved in deploying Access versus the other potential architectures for such applications. If there is one, then that would be enough.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    The key 'selling point,' if you will for MS Access, is that it allows for the rapid development of databases. Several developers I know, experienced in Access development, as well as Visual Basic and C++ database development, estimate that Access development only requires 30-50% of the time needed to develop the same database in VB or C++. The reason for this is that when using Access with Bound Forms, as it is meant to be used, Access does the majority of the 'heavy lifting.' You need to do no programming to save a new or edited Record, it's done automatically. To move from one Record to another requires no special coding. In short, most of the mundane tasks involved in utilizing a database require no special coding.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal Jeanis View Post
    Your question has me scratching my head.
    1) If you are storing information, the question isn't Access vs C#, the question is Access vs MySQL or Oracle or SQL Server or ... etc.
    2) Access provides a simple, convenient platform for small, self-contained applications that store and process information, especially if they need to use Microsoft automation in order to drive other Microsoft applications.
    3) The Access visual interface is a convenient way to quickly write SQL queries - that IS the purpose of Access - although for complex queries I prefer to code my own (and I wish the darn product would stop eating my carriage returns).
    4) Access VBA is not very different from the other dozen VBs that I've worked with. It's appropriate for self-contained applications, and it is interoperable to other Microsoft applications and to other database products with the usual compatibility caveats that you always run into.
    5) I don't know of any "obvious price factor" involved in deploying Access versus the other potential architectures for such applications. If there is one, then that would be enough.
    Actually by price factor I meant, license costs of buying MS-Access and Visual studio, though I agree that you can build simple applications using Access but for building a little more complex applications, involving more than 1 user, I do not think it will be effective, or I am underestimating?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    The key 'selling point,' if you will for MS Access, is that it allows for the rapid development of databases. Several developers I know, experienced in Access development, as well as Visual Basic and C++ database development, estimate that Access development only requires 30-50% of the time needed to develop the same database in VB or C++. The reason for this is that when using Access with Bound Forms, as it is meant to be used, Access does the majority of the 'heavy lifting.' You need to do no programming to save a new or edited Record, it's done automatically. To move from one Record to another requires no special coding. In short, most of the mundane tasks involved in utilizing a database require no special coding.

Linq ;0)>
    Well you can develop access database through its user friendly tools and use it as a backend, while doing front end programming using VB, as VB has got richer library of front end tools than access, isn't it?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent-leeway View Post

...but for building a little more complex applications, involving more than 1 user, I do not think it will be effective...
    Sorry, wrong on both counts!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Which tools did you have in mind found in VB but not in Access?

Complex db and multiple users is possible. Works quite well for our situation.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Which tools did you have in mind found in VB but not in Access?

Complex db and multiple users is possible. Works quite well for our situation.
    Well to be honest I do not know much about access programming but from what little I have read or heard, First of all you do not get rich library of tools needed for creating a user interface in Access, which you will get through Visual studio.

And as far as multi user applications is concerned, I have read that a more advanced RDBMS like SQL server would be more efficient, especially in case of web applications, isn't it?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Sorry, wrong on both counts!

Linq ;0)>
    Why do you think so?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would have to know more about the 'rich library of tools'. Access provides adequate user interface tools for our needs. I don't know if SQL Server would be more efficient but would certainly be harder and more costly to implement than Access because Access is already installed on every computer we acquire and it is easy to learn.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I would have to know more about the 'rich library of tools'. Access provides adequate user interface tools for our needs. I don't know if SQL Server would be more efficient but would certainly be harder and more costly to implement than Access because Access is already installed on every computer we acquire and it is easy to learn.
    Yes you are absolutely correct about the cost difference between the two database systems. Huge license costs of MSSQL Server makes quite a few user opt for the access, especially if volume of the transactions is not that much.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.