alexjose is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

What to use instead of lookup fields?

I have a web application with 2 tables, I've heard its bad to use lookup fields in tables to get values from other tables and the way to do it is though using combo boxes in forms.. but it doesnt seem that simple with a web app. I try to add a combo box but theres no wizard that comes up so I dont know how to select the right table/data to fill the combo box. Is this the right approach I'm taking? Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the data in the 'lookup' table? If the descriptive values are short, like "excellent", "good", "bad", "poor" could maybe just save the actual text descriptors instead of saving a number ID foreign key. This eliminates need to join the 'lookup' table in queries to retrieve the descriptors. But I've never built a web database so shooting in the dark.

I seldom use wizards, I just type the SQL statement I want as a RowSource for the combobox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the reply!
    The data in this particular lookup table is locations that our products are being sent to. I like the idea of a lookup because the engineers can add/remove locations in the 'Locations' table and each location can have its address, contact name, and contact info for each location, and this info gets updated in real time in the combo box/lookup form as you change it in the locations table

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Where does Access fit into your web app? Just curious.

Not sure I follow. I'm using SharePoint 2010 and Access 2010. The web app is a SharePoint list that works somewhat like the database

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Sharepoint is the word-- it wasn't anywhere in your post and I thought maybe you had found a new way to put Access on the internet. Oh well.........

No one can help?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your Locations table is a valid entity. What you have to decide is do you want to use a lookup with an alias? Instead of a number (autonumber?) primary key for the Locations, could use a text field with something that has meaning to your users, like SFO (for the San Francisco office). I believe those are your only choices - number without meaning is key and the meaningful descriptor is alias or use the descriptor as key.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.