rwilso29 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Adding Hyperlinks to Linked Tables

Hi All,

I am currently designing a PO Log for my company and have linked the master spreadsheet in Excel to a shared database in Access. While this works fine, the users still need to track down the PO in very large files. To remedy this I would like to install Hyperlinks as the PO number on the shared Access worksheet. The master Excel sheet currently uses Hyperlinks, however when I linked the two databases the hyperlink did not cross over.

My question is:

Is it possible to install a hyperlink on a linked table?
    If not, is their a bypass I could do to insert a Hyperlink in the same table, perhaps adding an additional column, etc?

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You're not linking databases. You're linking a spreadsheet into a database. Your spreadsheet then becomes a table within access.

My guess is that when you link the excel sheet your hyperlink is becoming a text file, when you go to the design view of your imported spreadsheet you can take a look.

If that's the case you have a couple of options. One is to IMPORT the information, rather than linking then you can make sure your imported hyperlink is actually getting dumped into a table that has the same field as a hyperlink.

The other way would be to convert your string to a hyperlink when it displays on your form/query so the click function works.

Here's an example:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1038350

I've got to say this is a backward way of getting what you want. Excel is much more limited than MS access in terms of dealing with purchase orders and the way you're doing it is going to make things difficult. I'd focus an creating a system within access that can handle your purchase order requirements rather than linking to a spreadsheet that is not designed to handle it. The eventual goal to be getting rid of the excel purchase order system altogether.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.