aarong83 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Need 2 fields from table 1, using lookup info from table 2, put into table 3

I am fairly new to Access and my head is spinning from spending the last few hours trying to research this on my own. I don't have much need to know Access inside and out, I just need to do this one thing:

I need to get x and y coordinates for each device, but the data has to get looked up from 2 other tables.

I have a table (called InstReclosers) that has device names. Each device is on a Section. I can go to another table (called InstSections) and look up what Node that particular section is tied to. Then I need to go to another table (called Nodes) to get the X and Y location for that particular node.

Can anybody tell me how I can go about getting this X and Y data into the InstReclosers table? Or at least tell me the proper terminology for what I am trying to do (reference, query, etc) so that I can at least start looking in the right direction?

Thanks!

...in summary, InstReclosers has device name and section name. InstSections has section name and node name. Nodes has node name and XY coords. Need XY coords for each device in InstReclosers.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    There should be no reason to get the x and y data 'into' the InstReclosers table.

Have you tried a query that joins the 3 tables? Use the query designer. Use the query to view related data. That is a primary concept of 'relational' database.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

aarong83 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks. The reason I thought I needed to put that data in the InstReclosers table is because I want to create a .csv file from that table to use in another program of ours (mapping program).

So basically, I need to make a .csv with information from InstReclosers table along with the XY data. Can I build a csv with a query?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, can export data from tables, queries, forms, reports. Results from the last two often unsatisfactory.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.