NMACH is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to populate a data field with specific date to existing table in access 2010?

I have a table with more than a million records. I want to add a new column with date euqals to e.g.3/14/2012 for all the records. I am using update query, but it is super slow (taking more than a hour)..is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Did the update get accomplished? If it did why is time an issue? Do you have to repeat this update periodically? Why? I don't know any faster way to accomplish table update. I doubt VBA procedure using a recordset could do it any faster.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NMACH is offline Novice
    Thank you for your response.

I have to do this for several different tables. I did accomplish it thru update query for one table. However, for the other table, it didnot update all the records.

In general, does this operation takes longer time? Is it because of the number of records too high this case?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Just curious -- Why do you have to add a field to the record/table layout? What exactly is the issue causing/requiring this to be done?
    And why for several tables?

It sounds very much like the underlying tables and relationships do NOT match your Business requirements.

NMACH is offline Novice
    Each file corresponds to a specific date and there are six of these files for 6 six different days. however each file does not have the date field.

In the later stage, i want to combine all these files into a one file and ran queries on that master table. So i want to add the date field before combining into a single master table.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think you are on right track to get the data into normalized structure. The biggest table I've ever worked with is about 65,000 records and it can run slow for some processes. Can't imagine 6 million records. Maybe Access is not the best resource for your needs. Oracle or SQL might be more suitable
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.