Lorlai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Report Total from a query

I have searched online and haven't been able to find a solution for this problem. I have a report that groups on Resource. Each resource is displayed as a single line on the report, and contains fields that apply to the resource, such as budgeted hours, actual hours, and total wages. I am trying to display a running total in the report footer for the budgeted hours, actual hours, and total wages fields. The main report (grouped by resource) will only show resources that have actual hours recorded. Currently, my report footer totals are displaying the budgeted hours for EVERY resource, and for every month, not the resources (and filtered month) displayed by my report query. For the month of April, my budgeted total should be 2,000, not 55,000 hours.

Is there a way to have the running total within my report footer equal only resources that are filtered within my report?

Thank you for your help!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You haven't shown how you get the totals, but it would seem like you could base them on the query instead of the table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thank you for your response PBaldy, I apologize for not being more clear. I have tried basing the totals on table and on the query, and receive the same results. Please see below for a sample of the database design:

Budget
    Resource
    Yr
    MoNum (as number, such as January = 1)
    MonthHrs

My query (titled budgetmonthcalc) to get the budget from the user entered period is as follows:

Code:
    SELECT Budget.Resource, Budget.MonthHrs AS BudgetMonthHrs
    FROM Budget
    WHERE (((Budget.MoNum)=Month(CVDate((Forms!Form1!PeriodTextBox.Value)))) And ((Budget.Yr)=Year(CVDate((Forms!Form1!PeriodTextBox.Value)))));
    Where the parameters are pulling the date based upon a user entered period on form1.

When setting the textbox in the report footer section to =Sum([budgetmonthcalc].[BudgetMonthHrs])

I still get the 55,000 budgeted hours for all resources/months, despite my query displaying the correct resources and month budget hours.

Does this explain in more detail my situation? Is there something that I could change to fix this?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You said the main report only shows filtered records. How is it filtered?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try removing the Sum().
    Create a hidden text box in the section where your budgetMonthHrs is, type = BudgetMonthHrs, and setting the running sum to Over group.
    In the footer text box type =ThetextBoxYouMade. Leave the Running Sum at no.

Dale

Thank you Dale, this worked perfectly!! You have saved me many hours of beating my head against the wall

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.