Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rnichols86 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

"There was an error executing this command"

I have one computer that is unable to run a single .mde file that is stored on a network drive. Every other computer in the company can run this file. The computer is running Windows SP2 and Access 2000.

My troubleshooting steps are as follows: Initially Access would not open stating the system.mdw file was missing or corrupt. Thinking a reinstall would resolve the issue (Outlook was also experiencing issues) I reinstalled Office 2000 completely. This did not help I found the file in the program files\common files\system folder. I found another copy of the file in an i386 folder and renamed the original to .old and copied the new file to the original's location. Access would now open but would run the .mde file. I installed the latest service pack (3) and this did not help. I found a copy of the system.mdw file from a computer that works and copied it over to this computer with no luck as well. Also for good measure I have performed compact and repair of the database and this did not help either. I dont know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen several items on line stating there is a conflict in the items on the switchboard table, but I dont think this is the case since every other computer can access this .mde. Thanks in advance for you help.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Has user security been applied to this mde? Can you open Access first and then open the mde successfully?

Windows XP Access 2000
    I believe so. The user can open the file from a different computer, just not this one. Plus the domain admin cannot run the file when logged in. Unless I am missing the point which is possible. I am not all that familiar with Access. Oh and no, opening Access first does not allow him to access the .mde

Windows XP Access 2002
    Do you normally open the mde's? from a shortcut on your desktop or some other way?

Windows XP Access 2000
    It is a shortcut on the desktop. It is stored on the file server.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Does your shortcut point to the correct MDW file?
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" \\YourFolder\Your.mde /WRKGRP "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\System.mdw"

Windows XP Access 2000
    Yes. The error occurs when attempting to run reports when opened. There are 5 buttons that allow the user to run each of 5 different reports.

The shortcut points straight to the file. I modified it the way you suggested and it still fails. I also successfully joined the security.mws group without success as well.

Windows XP Access 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like the mde will load successfully. It only fails when you press one of the Command Buttons on one of the forms, correct?

Windows XP Access 2000
    Yes. Sorry for the delay. Had to get some lunch

Windows XP Access 2002
    If you can run the .mde then the .mdw file is not the problem. Describe as best you can what happens when you press one of the Report buttons on the form. Does the problem PC have a printer?

Windows XP Access 2000
    First, the computer has 3 network printers. The reports are Fumigation reports. When running the .mde, there are options for 5 reports. If I select one of the reports, say user audit, a enter Parameter Value pops up. When I enter a user ID for a value and hit OK, the "There was an error executing this command" pops up.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Actually just discovered someting else. Database folder there are several options. Create table in Design View, by using Wizard, entering data. Then there 2 linked ODBC entries. They Failed when double clicking on them. This this normal? How do I reconnect them? This is in the tables view
    Last edited by rnichols86; 11-18-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Additional info

Windows XP Access 2002
    Unfortunately, .mde files do not have very useful messages without good error handling code in each procedure. If you had the .mdb to run on that maching then you could do some troubleshooting and probably pin down the issue. Maybe the printer drivers have gotten boogered. Have you tried printing test pages from windows to each of the printer drivers?

Windows XP Access 2002
    I usually reconnect all of my linked tables with code each time the program is loaded. I don't think the Linked Table Manager works in an .mde file but you can try it.
    Tools>Database Utilities

Windows XP Access 2000
    Rural Guy, Thank you for all of your help so far. The ODBC connections are missing. I have tried to set up new connections, but it requires the username and password for the database, and I am not sure what the password is. The default password for this database fails. I think this is the issue, and the Linked table manager will work on our terminal server, but not on the workstation in question. I will post my results as soon as I can get in contact with the net admin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.