Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigDan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

help! need help modifying a query

let me start by saying my knowledge of access is pretty minimal, havent used it in years. so i'd be grateful if you guys could dumb it down a bit

i have to calculate the sales activity for 2013 Q1 for my company. i do have a database which has the ionformation for 2012 Q1. i'm guessing i can use that to get the information i need but i dont know how. i'm hoping someone can advise.

here's what i did so far:
    under tables i found the file "Ziggy Q1 2012 (Results)". The datasheet view gives me what I need. I then opened it in design view. There's nothing meaningful in there, just the Field Names and Types. Which makes sense, I dont know what I was hoping for. I guess I just expected there'd be something there that pointed to 2012, and I could point to 2013, and we'd be good. Someone please help!
    BTW I've attached a graphic of the different types of, well, icons, that I see in Access. COuld someone explain them to me? There seem to be 2 different icons under Tables, 2 diff under Queries. I know what an Excel Macro is, I'm guessing its the same thing here. And I have no idea what 'Modules' means.

Thanks!
    Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	12503

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The tables with the "globe" are Linked Tables and the queries with the bang (!) are Action queries.

BigDan is offline Novice
    great thanks

can you help w/ the first question as well? that's the much more imp one!

June7 is offline VIP
    Is there a table for 2013 data? A separate table for each year is not optimized data structure. Like data should be in one table and then use filter criteria to limit recordset.

Macros in Access are different from macros in Excel. Excel macros are really VBA procedures.

Modules are VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Does the file "Ziggy Q1 2012 (Results)" have any queries in it?

BigDan is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Is there a table for 2013 data? A separate table for each year is not optimized data structure. Like data should be in one table and then use filter criteria to limit recordset.
    I havent been able to find any information for 2013. So I dont know if it exists. I assumed its just dumped somewhere and its my job to find a way to access it. Since my post I've texted a couple friends and I'm getting the feeling there needs to be an actual table somewhere for 2013 information, is that correct? If so, I havent been able to find it anywhere. Is there a way I can somehow look at the 2012 Table to figure out where the 2013 information would be, or would it have to be in the same file, under Tables?

BigDan is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Does the file "Ziggy Q1 2012 (Results)" have any queries in it?
    I'm a newbie so there's a chance my answer wont make sense but...

The file name is RoyaltiesTest2012. In that there's a table called "Ziggy Q1 2012 (Results)". There's about 40 normal tables, and then another ~10 tables with a globe next to them, which I'm told means linked tables. Then there's about 15 Queries with a black exclamation mark, and another 10 with a double-window icon next to them.

The DoubleWindow queries are Select queries (they do not modify the data). Action queries could modify the data. YES, you are probably going to need to find your 2013 data somewhere.

BigDan is offline Novice
    The DoubleWindow queries are Select queries (they do not modify the data). Action queries could modify the data. YES, you are probably going to need to find your 2013 data somewhere.

is there some way to make it easier to find, like by checking the original table i mentioned? could that contain any 'links' or anything like that, like in excel? because the home directory is 80 GB and so i havent really found much in there. i guess it could just be here and not given a good name, but this is all i have at this time.

can it be indicated if the 2013 data would prolly be in this database, or could it be somewhere else, and if it would be a linked table or non-linked?

BigDan is offline Novice
    btw under Macros there's a macro called Ziggy, is there some way to figure out what that would do? is there a chance that would give me the information i need, or do i defintiely need a new table?

We would just be guessing here but maybe one of the queries references the "Ziggy Q1 2012 (Results)" table. Open them one at a time in design view and check them. It will probably be one of the Action queries (!).

You might see if you can display the Ziggy query for us or maybe convert it to code and then post it.

BigDan is offline Novice
    You might see if you can display the Ziggy query for us or maybe convert it to code and then post it.

Thanks!

Actually what I called Ziggy is actually called Debbie Travis. I changed the name for work confidentiality but I dont really think it matters now.

here's a screenshot:

Attachment 12506

sorry i didnt know how to get the code you asked for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DT Design.jpg  

Try changing the FISCAL_YR Criteria to 2013 and see what happens. You may want to start by making a BACKUP of this file and work on the backup instead of the actual file.

It looks like this query is using your Linked Tables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.