Aaron5714 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Formatting a Report with Detail Fields Broken-Out Under Certain Rows

I have a report in my database that shows contracts. Each row in the report represents a contract and shows the ID, Supplier, Category, etc. I have another table in my database that tracks audit details for certain contracts that have been audited. What I am trying to do is create a report that will show each contract, and if there is audit data for that contract, the report would show the additional audit fields broken-out underneath. See below for an example of how my report currently looks, and how I want it to look with the audit details showing for two different contracts (I created these in Excel to illustrate what I'm trying to do). Note that only some contracts have audit data associated with them.

I can setup the record source for the report using a simple query that joins the contract table to the audit history table. My issue is that I can’t seem to be able to format the report to show the audit detail broken out under each contract. I’m assuming you would use Grouping to accomplish this but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Example of current report format:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Current Report Format.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	12482

Example of desired report format:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Desired Report Format.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	12483

June7 is offline VIP
    Might require a subreport for the audit details.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Aaron5714 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Thanks June, the subreport works however I am now having an issue where the subreport is visible below every record on the main report, even if there is no audit data. I did some searching and found that you can set the "Can Shrink" property of the subreport to 'yes' which should prevent it from showing if there is no data. This seems to work in print preview mode, however in Report View I can still see all the empty subreports. My reports are embedded in my application and display in Report View, so I'm trying to figure out if the blank subreports can be suppressed in Report View. Please let me know if you have any advice on this.

June7 is offline VIP
    No, I don't think can do with Report View. I don't use Report View, only Print Preview.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.