wardw is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000

Form doesn't add data to table

I'm very new to Access 2007. I've built a database, normalized the tables and constructed their relationships, now I'm building a form to enter data into the main table in the database. I've added a few fields to the form by dragging them from the Field List. Most of them are unbounded because they're like "First Name", "Last Name", etc., and the names are what are being added to the database.

To test the form I've displayed it in Form view and filled in the fields. I have two questions: Do I need to add an Enter button to the form so clicking it writes the field data to the main table and clears all the fields? How do I tell Access that I've finished filling in the form for that person and now I want a blank form for the next person? I tried using the "Record:" icons in the bottom frame of the window to go to the next record, but the fields didn't go blank. Also, I checked the main table in Datasheet view but no data was filled in.

(It's amazing how hard it is to find answers to the really, really simple questions like these.)

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Why are the controls not bound. They need to be bound to the fields of the forms data source.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows XP Access 2000
    Okay, I think I've figured out the problem. When I dragged the fields onto the form from the Field List, I should have left them containing the fieldname Access had in them. They're not really "unbounded," apparently, even though they don't get data from a table. Now that I've re-created the fields, the Record icons work as they should: clicking the little blue triangle clears the fields and enters the data into the main table.

rzw0wr is offline I will always be a newbie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Most of them are unbounded because they're like "First Name", "Last Name", etc., and the names are what are being added to the database.
    Why are they unbound?
    If you did a drag and drop from the Available Fields sheet then they are bound.
    If they are unbound Access does not know what to do with them.

Dale

Windows XP Access 2000
    Thanks for your reply, Bob. That's what I found confusing; there's no real "source" for the data the user will type into most of the fields. Some of them are list boxes that do need a source for the items in the list, but most fields' data will be essentially created by the user (a new person's name, for example), and exists nowhere in any tables. So I can't "bind" the field to a data source.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.