hinsdale1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Where did the Web Browser Control disappear to?

So june7 has made several helpful suggestions to solve an issue by utilizing the Web Browser Control and I kept feeling stupid because my Access 2013 ribbon atop the form I was working on was not showing any such Web Browser Control (regardless of view/layout). I was frustrated and assumed it was not included in the newer Access 2013.

So imagine my surprise when working on a new form in the same database and low and behold there is a Web Browser Control in the Design. Controls section of the ribbon. So I just assume that I was somehow must have been stroking out and overlooked it the first time. I was feeling pretty stupid for not seeing it all those times I looked.

Well it turns out I was not stroking out - the first form I was working on does not offer any Web Browser Control in the Design. Controls section of the ribbon. I would like to add a Web Browser control to form but cant figure out why it's not showing up?

Two forms created in the same database in the same version of access - yet one offers Web Browser control and the other does not?

Anyone have an idea where it went to?

Beetle is offline Unrelatable
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Could be a couple of things. A2013 seems to want to predict (to some extent) what controls you may need depending on the type of object you're designing. For example, I've noticed if you design a continuous (multiple items form) then the web browser control is not available, which makes sense to some extent I suppose because you would not normally place a web browser control in a continuous form.

Also, I've noticed that if you're working with an older (.mdb) format database then the web browser control is not available, although that doesn't sound like the issue in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Could be a couple of things. A2013 seems to want to predict (to some extent) what controls you may need depending on the type of object you're designing. For example, I've noticed if you design a continuous (multiple items form) then the web browser control is not available, which makes sense to some extent I suppose because you would not normally place a web browser control in a continuous form.
    If this is the case, is there a fix?

Yes. Place a web browser control on a standard form, then change the form type to continuous (there may be other fixes as well, that's just the first one that came to mind). I take it this is related to your Weather project? I think I see where you're going with this but it could be tricky to implement because a continuous form is really just one set (or row) of controls that is repeated multiple times, so unbound controls will repeat the same data over and over in all rows. If you have the necessary web path or whatever in a table or query, and bind the web browser to that field, then you might get the results you want. Interesting project anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Yes. Place a web browser control on a standard form, then change the form type to continuous (there may be other fixes as well, that's just the first one that came to mind).
    Can you think of a possible method get a Web Browser control on a form that is already designed/layed out? It will be displaying the same image on each record (image itself will change day-to-day) - its an url image though so I dont have any other simple way to get it to display.

Well, I just tried creating a standard form, placing a WB control on it, then copy the control and paste it on an (already) continuous form. That doesn't work, you just get an error message that WB controls are not supported on continuous forms. Maybe try changing your existing form's style to Single, place the WB control, then change it back.

Edit: Just tried that and it works, at least to get the wb control on the form. Whether or not this will ultimately work how you want remains to be seen.

Worked perfectly. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.