Chandrajit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

subform form footer text box - total field of amounts using udf is returning error

I have a subform FacltUndrInvoice. this subform gives me the different charges for rooms used in guest house.

based on this i have a text field in the subform footer which should give the total of the above charges.

the text field giving total charge for each entry in the subform uses this code
    Code:
    =nz((Facility_Charges(nz([Fclt]),"Monthly")*nz([txtFcltUsgMnths]))+Facility_Charges(nz([Fclt]),"Weekly")*nz([txtFcltUsgDys])),0)
    where Facility_Charges is a udf extracting charges from a rates table using dlookup function and txtFcltUsgMnths is the total number of months (if any) and txtFcltUsgDys is the total number of days.

when I use
    Code:
    =Sum(nz((Facility_Charges(nz([Fclt]),"Monthly")*nz([txtFcltUsgMnths]))+Facility_Charges(nz([Fclt]),"Weekly")*nz([txtFcltUsgDys])),0)
    for the total of such charges in the subform footer this gives me an error. I tried all possible ways I could but could not remove the error.

Please help me out in this, I need an insight desperately. Please let me know if any more information is required.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think can only use aggregate calc functions on fields, not a UDF. Just as can't use on textbox with an expression. Assuming fields in table called Qty and Units. Now have a textbox calculate: [Qty] * [Units]. Can't do: Sum([textbox name]). Can do: Sum([Qty] * [Units]).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I think can only use aggregate calc functions on fields, not a UDF. Just as can't use on textbox with an expression. Assuming fields in table called Qty and Units. Now have a textbox calculate: [Qty] * [Units]. Can't do: Sum([textbox name]). Can do: Sum([Qty] * [Units]).

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that any udf can't be used in aggregate calculations. If yes, can you please suggest me some way out?

June7 is offline VIP
    That's exactly what I mean.

Try doing the record calc in the form's RecordSource query then referencing that constructed field on form in the aggregate calc.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    do you mean I make a calculated field in the form's recordsource query and then use that field as the control source of a text box?

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, try that.

Windows XP Access 2007
    HI
    I had two fields which calculated the total number of months and days between two dates. after I tried your idea I am getting system prompts asking for the number of months and days which actually the calculation should get from the dates supplied in the form itself.

I must be doing sumthing wrong

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi June
    It was my mistake I retained the reference to the text boxes in my formula. Now its working and let me thank you a ton times for that idea.

Thanks man for the help

Windows XP Access 2007
    I took out the references to the textboxes and replaced them wiht the calculated fields. Its working

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.