HB98073 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Autofill form fields with data from another db using 1 of 3 unique identiers

While not new to basic chores in Access, I am new to Visual Basic, which I've been trying to use to get information I need. I need to enter information into a form from a source document that provides one of three unique identifiers (name, employee number, and SSN). Once one of the identifiers is selected, I'd like the other two fields to auto-populate. I've tried creating combo boxes in the three fields in my form, and setting up a subroutine for AfterUpdate for each of the three fields At one time I was seeing some results, although the SSN was appearing in the EE (employee # field). Now I can't even get to that point. While debugging I get the Compile Error "Method or data member not found". Any suggestions are appreciated. Apologies in advance for not using the correct words to describe what I've done, or not done.

June7 is online now VIP
    Why save all 3 values to record?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The name is almost always supplied, but employee # and/or SSN are not always supplied. We're moving away from using SSN, but sometimes the source document (paper form) is an old one, and SSN is used. I really only need to have the name and employee #, but I'm including SSN to double and triple check that I'm tracking information for the same person.

June7 is online now VIP
    Maybe use unbound controls to enter search/filter criteria.

Review: http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Just watched the video link...great job! You referenced another video about working with multiple combo boxes. Would I use multiple combo boxes if I want to select either the employee name, employee number or SSN from the drop down, and have the other two fields populate automatically?

June7 is online now VIP
    I would not 'populate' the other comboboxes. They should be unbound and used only for search criteria input. Use as many comboboxes as you want with the same criteria method.

Those values from record should be displayed in bound textboxes.

I just watched the multiple combo box video, and now I understand what you mean by displaying the values from the record in the bound textbox. I'm going to give this a shot again. Thanks very much, June7.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.