dgtampa is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Split form "allow deletions/additions" problem...

Hello!

(This is regarding a split database using Acces 2010 on Win7 x64)

I have a front-end which I distributed to several counselors; the back end is located on my computer and all are linked through our local network. However, it has come to my attention that one of the counselors has been deleting records unintentionally, through a split-form. Apparently, the counselor is simply selecting a row in the datasheet side of the split-form and hitting the delete button (he doesn't understand how a database works and thought he was only editing his own data, not that of the whole center...).

Here's my current settings on the form:

-The split-form's datasheet is set to read-only;
    -the form's field objects are all locked, except for one which I would like them to be able to edit;
    -The form's data properties for: Allow Edits is set to "Yes", Allow Additions is set to "Yes", Allow Deletions is set to "Yes", and Data Entry is set to "No";
    -The form is based on a single table called tblBeneficiaries and said table is in the back-end, shared by other users.

I have attempted to change the Allow Additions/Deletions properties for the split-form to "No", but the changed settings won't save (i.e. when I close the form and then re-open it, those property settings revert back to "Yes". The problem can be reproduced on the other front-ends as well.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Is there another way to restrict additions/deletions to certain front-ends and not others?

Thanks in advance!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    by split form do you mean form/subform? Does your subform have record selectors/navigation buttons? if so you can remove those in your properties sheet (see the properties Scroll Bars, Record Selectors, Navigation Buttons) If you remove the record selectors you will be able to prevent him from selecting the entire record and deleting it, the most a delete would do would be get rid of the current field which is less disasterous.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    By the way, this is one of the primary reasons I use unbound forms, they're more of a pain in the butt to set up but it's easier to prevent the accidental/intentional corruption of data.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you for your prompt response!

I apologize for not responding sooner. I had the wrong email address on my profile and changed it.

what I mean by a split form is a form with a data sheet to the right of it (no sub forms); there are no record selectors on the datasheet side.

I want him (the uuser) to be able to view the datasheet side so he can see the dataset he is working with (for example his caseload) while making changes ONLY.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you want to prevent him from changing that data you can show it in a list box rather than a datasheet.

Barring that, if you make the source of your datasheet a query and construct the query such that the it is not updatable (usually linking it to another table, even if you don't use the contents of the secondary table would do it, particularly if you're not linking to the PK of the secondary table) then it would be impossible to delete/update records directly on the datasheet.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for your response rpeare!

if you want to prevent him from changing that data you can show it in a list box rather than a datasheet.
    I do want him to be able to make changes to (edit) the data in the form (only one field object in the form), but I don't want him to be able to add or delete records.

if you make the source of your datasheet a query
    Can I do that? I didn't think the Datasheet and the form itself were separate...I thought it was just a different view of the form which includes a datasheet containing the data that the form (and it's objects) is based on. If what you say is true (and I don't believe you would be saying so if it wasn't), how would I go about doing that?

Just for additional clarity, I have included a modified screen-shot of what I am talking about (data has been redacted for confidentiality). There is description of the issue as well. I've noticed that often times, words are just not enough, especially for me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	12058

Thanks again for all of your assistance!
    Last edited by dgtampa; 04-25-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Grammar

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok. Your datasheet can definitely be a list box. You can Select items in a list box and have it populate your form. That seems to be the only issue that you are really facing.

Build a query (or if your current datasheet is based on a table just create a list box based on that) then in the ON CLICK event of the list box you can requery your main form based on the selection made.

The only other way I can think of is to make a subform and lock all the objects on the subform. You can make it look like your datasheet but it'd be a form/subform and making a choice on your subform and passing that back to your main form can be kind of a pain.

I'd really recommend you take a look at using a list box.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.