Inactive Cells (rows and columns) in Split Form table

Hi there.

I've got a split form set up (Access 2007) in which I've encountered a problem where there are inactive cells to the right and underneath my active datasheet.

I've looked high and low for a solution to this problem with no success, but one of the biggest barriers to a solution seems to be a lack of understanding. So to be clear:
    1. This is a split form and not a form with a subform on it.
    2. These problematic cells are not empty cells; I have not just accidentally included them. I do not know why they appear, but I feel there must be a workaround, since I'm clearly not the only person who has had this probelm

I attach an image to illustrate my issue and to be sure the problem is quite clear. I have a number of blank entries at the end of my datasheet to demonstrate the difference between these blank cells that I can remove very easily, and the inactive cells I'm currently struggling with. As you can see, there is a great deal more space (especially horizontally) in the datasheet section of the split form than there needs to be. Indeed, by the position of the horizontal scroll bar, you can tell there are more inactive fields than active ones. You can understand why this is far from ideal.

One thing that I suppose could be causing this (or at least contributing to it) is that I have a lot of hidden fields. The way this split form is set up, there is one section of bound controls that displays the active record, and another section of unbound controls that can be used to filter the datasheet. All the controls in the filter section were showing up as fields in the split form's datasheet, so I had to hide those fields (the controls are obviously still visible on the form). There are 14 inactive rows and I-don't-know-how-many inactive columns (since I can't select them, I'm unsure how to count them). There are dozens of hidden fields because there are dozens of controls in the filtering section of the form.

I know that using a subform instead of a split form would help me solve this issue, because I could just make my subform a continuous form that looks like a datasheet (datasheet view in my subforms presents the same issue I've described above), but the synchronization between form and datasheet that exists on split forms is the dealbreaker here; when a field is selected in the datasheet, the form displays the corresponding record in the bound controls and highlights the field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inactive cells.jpg  

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    No idea. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Shoot. I'll get around to that when I've got a few minutes today. Stay tuned, I guess. And thanks for your help!

I've started in on the process, but it's turning out to be rather involved due to the nature of the data and the complexity of the db. I might just grin and bear it after all, but who knows, maybe if I'm bored/desperate I'll go back to trying to remove all the confidential info. Certainly not today, though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.