kasmax99 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Read GMail via VBA

Hi Guys
    I have been trying to access gmail through vba in Access 2003. I can send an email from vba using CDO by using gmail account but i cant seem to find a way to read gmails email or download them in a table. i have searched quite a bit online but couldnt find any help.

so has anyone done something to achieve this? either using CDO or any other way or trick.
    i will really appritiate the help.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Google: VB read gmail

This is complicated because must access Gmail through web browser so code must manipulate the browser in order to open Gmail website.

Review: http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...pen-gmail.html

Other hits are VB examples that appear to use an add-in. Don't know if adaptable to Access/VBA.

This appears to offer a downloadable add-in at a cost:
    http://www.example-code.com/vb/pop3_gmail.asp

Don't know if this has a cost:
    http://www.emailarchitect.net/forum/...?g=posts&t=235
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quick question.

You just want to pull the text out of a gmail email? What is the ultimate goal? is gmail already signed in? Are you logging into gmail using vba?

Using the html reference library in access you should be able to navigate/read/write to internet explorer just fine. I have a few test databases I can mess with really quick to check the possibilities . Stay tuned.

Windows XP Access 2003
    So I looked at the code behind the window, this is going to be boarderline impossible....

As you can see, they are using alot of frames. Frames are the bane of my existence. Now the code you are looking at is just ONE email. To avoid having to painstakingly write a HUGE amount of code, to account of each piece of mail in the box...

I would consider forwarding your gmail mail to outlook. This would make the world a happier place.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20115...tlook-com.html

kasmax99 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Hi Redbull
    Many thanks for your suggestion and looking into it. well my ultimate goal is to create an email inbox within access database. and yes i would use vba to login. the reason i cant use outlook is that many pcs in the enviro do not have outlook or cant be configured to gmail.

ok will ive also been doing some work on it. what i have achieved so far is i have a access form and you click button and it reads gmail by logging in with vba with all user/pass etc details provided in vba. and since the browser display is set to invisible so the user dont see gmail opened in browser. then it reads the source of the logged in gmail page and pull out the emails. i have done most of it and by filtering text im almost getting all the email subject and sent from with time. but what i obeviously havent been able to do is getting the full msgs because they are not on the page.

what i wana achieve finally is to create with access application a complete mailbox and a popup reminder that alerts you as soo as new mail arrives. its essentially to do all what outlook does but without the use of outlook and with the access application.

so if you have some more thoughts than ill be happy to know.

cheers

Windows XP Access 2003
    Wow, you made a ton of progress. Can you upload the file, of course remove the UID/PW. I have an idea for gathering the data out of the email, could even save email subjects/bodys to a table if you'd like.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.