Vi-Scan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Unhappy Newbie Report Help!

Hi All and thanks in advance for your help! I'm trying to build a rational and functional database for my employer; right now most of our records are still in Word!!, and a couple of simple tables and queries that I've built. I have little experience with Access2007 but really love the learning curve and sincerely want to become confident and proficient. Okay, here we go. We inspect items (call them cars). Sometimes it's the whole car, sometimes it's parts that are removed from the car; sometimes the parts are still on the car; sometimes it's multiple items from the same car; sometimes multiple items from different cars. All cars and items are serial numbered so must be individually tracked, but are sometimes interchangeable. The cars and items aren't always inspected with the same procedure or equipment, but again, that must be tracked with each item inspected. Sometimes multiple inspection methods and equipment are needed for some but not all items in a particular job. What I'm trying to accomplish is this: when I select inspection method(s) for a particular item, I want a drop down list so I can choose the right equipment for each inspection method. On the report, I need to display multiple 'cars' or items, but group them by the inspection equipment I chose previously; and display all on one page. So, we will hopefully end up with customer information; dates and other trivia relating to the inspection; a possibly long list of items for inspection, grouped by method and equipment; and the ability to add items/equipment/procedures that are not yet in the tables. I am surrounded by Access2007 library books and have searched many forums but can't get my head around the multiple issues. I've built some queries and joined some tables but when I get to the other end, there is no data displayed, or I get error messages. I can't give up on this, but neither can I figure it out on my own! Please help....

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    One of the first things you need to understand is normalization. The table structure will make or break a database.
    Crystal has a tutorial at http://www.accessmvp.com/Strive4Peace/ See Chapter 3

Orange also posted many very helpful links at
    https://www.accessforums.net/access/...ial-31357.html
    (Post #2)

Once you have studied/watched normalization, grab a pencil and tables. These are your friends. (actually I use a dry marker and a sliding glass door) Start laying out the table structure. The paper (or whiteboard/glass door) makes it easy to change field names, edit tables and relationships.
    Much easier that editing table designs..

Vi-Scan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks Steve and Orange. I will keep wading through it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.