Vellmen is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Forgotten DB PW

I wrote an access db in Access 2007 about 2 years ago and apparently I had installed a DB password. I am interested in re-investing some time on the db now but can not for the life of me remember the pw I set. Is there a way to remove it? Or do I start over from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

tanvi is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You can remove password by using following steps:

1. Open the Microsoft Access 2007 application on your computer. Click the "Microsoft Office" button and then click the "Open" option.
    2. Select the database file you want to remove a password for in the "Open" dialog box and then click the "Open Exclusive" option.
    3. Click the "Database Tools" tab from the top of the application and then click the "Decrypt Database" option from the "Database Tools" group.
    4. Enter your password into the "Password" field of the Unset Database Password dialog box.
    5. Click the "OK" button in the dialog box and then the password will be fully removed from your database.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Cain & Abel has a database password extractor. It works great, I've used it in the past. The program is free, it is used for pentesting, Arp attacks etc etc.

http://twit88.com/blog/2007/10/16/ca...-hacking-tool/

read number 20.

The program is used for pentesting, so don't be on a company network.. Just my advice.

here is the download link for the application

http://www.oxid.it/cain.html
    Last edited by June7; 03-28-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: merge posts

Quote Originally Posted by tanvi View Post
    You can remove password by using following steps:

4. Enter your password into the "Password" field of the Unset Database Password dialog box.
    Thanks, but apparently I wasn't clear when I typed "but can not for the life of me remember the pw I set"

Quote Originally Posted by redbull View Post
    Cain & Abel has a database password extractor. It works great, I've used it in the past. The program is used for pentesting, so don't be on a company network.. Just my advice.
    Thanks for the program advice. I did write the DB at work which is on a network. I only copied the DB to CD which I have at home. When trying to use Cain & Able in the retrieve password dialog box it's asking for a .mdb file format while my DB is a .accdb file format. Is it safe to assume each DB (.accdb) file has an .mdb? Is that file on the network? So in theory I should be able to search for the .mdb on the work network send it home and place it in the same folder at as the actual DB then use Cain & Able?

Sorry, I don't know much about the security structure of MS Access files. And thanks in advance for your time.

Vell

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Didn't think about that. I would try a couple things.. simply rename the .accdb file to .mdb file... I doubt it will work, but who knows.

Since you don't have the password, I doubt you could open the file and save as? Both of these are long shots. I hope one of them works for you.

I will do some googling on recovering accdb password

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.