fedyazar is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Exporting to .dbf "can't find object" error

Hi folks,

Here's a problem I haven't found the answer to online.

If I run a query on my table, save that query as, say, 'test', and then try to export the results as a .dbf file, Access will tell me that it can't find the object 'test.' Here's the full error:

"The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object 'test'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and path name correctly."

Now, what's strange about this is that I only get this error when my query has the majority of the original table's fields. If my query results have two or three columns, it exports fine.

Does anybody here have any idea what the heck is going on?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Are there some special type fields (memo, attachment, multi-value) involved in the 'majority'?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

No memo fields in there.

Nope. The two memo fields in the original table are the ones I excluded in the query. Originally I had tried to export the entire table, but Access said "Record is too large." So I'm trying to export it without those fields. The ones I'm trying to export now are all text or number fields.

I've also tried creating a new access file with those memo fields removed and the text fields cut down to 254 characters as opposed to 255 (to work with Foxpro). Doing that still gives me the "Record is too large" error.

I've tried importing the Access file (minus the memo fields) into Navicat then exporting it to .dbf, but that doesn't work either - every text field in the .dbf becomes a memo, for some reason, and it won't link to the .dbt file that comes with it.

Thank you! I'd appreciate any and all help.

Oh, and the "Number" fields are either "Long integer" or "Double," if that makes any difference.

June7 is offline VIP
    You might just have to repeatedly test export, adding a field with each attempt until you encounter the field that blows it up.

Don't think I've ever exported Access data to dbf.

You should be aware that Microsoft removes all support for dbf with Access 2013. They already removed capability of Excel 2007 to save as dbf. That really annoyed me.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7, that's a good idea, I'll try that. It seems like every avenue I try, there's some new error.

Have you exported from Navicat to dbf?

June7 is offline VIP
    Never heard of Navicat.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.