beastmp13 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Trying to create report listing records horizontally

Hi there,
    I've done a bit of searching on this topic, and have tried some of the suggestions mentioned, but the layout I am looking for does not seem to make these solutions work for me.
    I'm keeping track of a soccer team and have a game table listing the gameid, quarter, and each of the positions on the field. I use this to enter where I would like my players to play during each quarter, and would like to create a report based on this and some other information, however, I would like each of the quarters for the game to be displayed horizontally instead of vertically.

Quarter1 Quarter2

LF CF RF LF CF RF
    Player1 Player2 Player3 Player1 Player2 Player3
    LD CD RD LD CD RD
    Player4 Player5 Player6 Player4 Player5 Player6
    Goal Goal
    Player7 Player7
    Side1 Side2 Side3 Side1 Side2 Side3
    Player8 Player9 Player10 Player8 Player9 Player10

Underneath this will be more information about the specific game, and on top will be the gameid and other headers.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to do this. It's not super important as I have a word document with tables and such that I fill out and print, but I'd like to have it all in one place.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by beastmp13; 03-25-2013 at 10:08 PM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What have you tried? I presume you tried a CROSSTAB on the raw data and it didn't work.

Might get what you want by first doing a query that calcuates a field concatenating Quarter field with other fields and using that constructed field as the column field in CROSSTAB.

Have you considered IIf expressions in query, review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flashfiles/crosstab.html

Then there is VBA to manipulate data and save in 'temp' table, records are purged after the process completes.

Here is a thread on the topic https://www.accessforums.net/forms/d...lly-20989.html
    Check out the additional links in that thread.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

That second link was actually the one that I was looking at right before I decided to post, however it didn't sound like it was resolved, so here I am.
    Crosstabs on the data didn't work because of the layout. I want the fields and their headers to be laid out like they are on the soccer field. I've used DLookup before in another database that I've put together, but I was hoping to avoid that on this one because all the data is right there, I just need it put together.

Here's the raw data:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoccerDBGames.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	11706

And here's how it's showing up in the report
    (Here I'm using a subreport):

Name:	SoccerDBGamesReport.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	11708

This is ultimately how I want to get it to look:

Name:	SoccerDBGamesWord.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	11711

Maybe I'm just missing something easy, but I've been using Access for years, and this has me stumped. I've been avoiding vba but it looks like that might be the only way to get the layout like I want.

June7 is offline VIP
    That thread was not resolved but it is the other links referenced that are of true value:

https://www.accessforums.net/reports...html#post99062
    which has link to:
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ry-322123.html

However, consider:

qryQtr1
    SELECT GameID, Quarter AS Qtr1, OpposingTeam AS Qtr1OP, LeftForward AS Qtr1LF, CenterForward AS Qtr1CF
    FROM U10BSSGames
    WHERE (((U10BSSGames.Quarter)=1));

Do similar query for each quarter.

Now join the 4 queries.
    SELECT qryQtr1.GameID, qryQtr1.Qtr1, qryQtr1.Qtr1OP, qryQtr1.Qtr1LF, qryQtr1.Qtr1CF, qryQtr2.Qtr2, qryQtr2.Qtr2OP, qryQtr2.Qtr2LF, qryQtr2.Qtr2CF, qryQtr3.Qtr3, qryQtr3.Qtr3OP, qryQtr3.Qtr3LF, qryQtr3.Qtr3CF, qryQtr4.Qtr4, qryQtr4.Qtr4OP, qryQtr4.Qtr4LF, qryQtr4.Qtr4CF
    FROM qryQtr4 INNER JOIN (qryQtr3 INNER JOIN (qryQtr2 INNER JOIN qryQtr1 ON qryQtr2.GameID = qryQtr1.GameID) ON qryQtr3.GameID = qryQtr1.GameID) ON qryQtr4.GameID = qryQtr1.GameID;

There is a limit of 255 fields for a query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The sublinks helped a little. It looks like what I did with my other database. So just to clarify, as I don't have too much experience with crosstabs, the values seem to only be able to handle numerical data. Is that correct? Like I said, crosstabs don't look like they will work here as my data is laid out the way it is, but it would be good for reference.

I was looking at joining them together with the queries as in your SQL statements, but being my own personal database, I figured that if I were to go that route, it might just be easier to reconfigure the table to hold the entire game's data vs. a separate record for each quarter.

Looks like I might just go that route, as the queries would essentially do the same thing, and it would be simpler than doing DLookup for each field.

June7 is offline VIP
    Crosstabs can do Count of non-numerical data.

I agree that Crosstab not suited.

It is a balancing act between normalization and ease of data entry/output. The merged table you describe might be best for you and it probably meets some normalization standards - such as every field should have data.

Thank you for the help. I ended up using the 4 queries with the join, as it was easier to do for other data that I needed to obtain for the report.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.