October 30, 2009
History of Subdatasheet problem
I am basically a neophyte database user. Regarding my current problem, I have successfully and quite easily used subdatasheets perhaps a dozen times to serve as a repository for notes and additional information for records in the “parent” datasheet. In this instance, I went through the same steps as before with the subdatasheet having four fields: Its primary key, the primary key of the parent subdatasheet,a date field and finally a notes field (memo). Almost immediately I ran into a problem this time. If I entered more than one note (done by hitting the “+” sign on the parent sheet) I would get a “Enter Parameter Value” warning with “ID”in the small window. After trying various solutions, I eliminated this symptom but only managed to replace it with another: now even one Notes entry fails. Oh, the note entry is accepted but when I come back to look at it, it is not there. However, it IS in the Notes table when I open it. The notes primary key numbers are no longer in numerical order.
Thinking perhaps I had violated a naming convention, I changed the name on the primary table to Jugadores from Players. I forget exactly what I did next except it must have involved trying to “reinforce” the relationship between the two datasheets, and my notes show I soon found two “parent” tables, one with something approximating “#1” after the Notes name. Somehow I managed to delete the “Notes #!” table, thinking there must be a conflict between the two tables, but that only changed the symptoms as indicated at the end of the above paragraph.
I ran a “Analyze Performance” check on the Jugadores datasheet and it was suggested that I should add indexes for three fields: Equipo,Apellido and Nombre
Following Access help directions, I did a SQL CREATE INDEX command on all three but don’t note any improvement in the sheets (and don’t see any index if one is to be seen.

Two days ago I ran database documenters on two pairs of datasheets. I selected one datasheet/subdatasheet association that works which is is composed of the parent table Equipos and subdatasheet Equipo Notes. The other association, present problem pair, is Jugadores and Players Notes. Four Documenters in all.
Comparing Players Notes documenter to Equipo Notes documenter. The following entries are MISSING from Players Notes description of JugadoresID column:
Equipo Notes: EquipoID column:
AllowMultipleValues False
AllowValueListEdits True
Bound column 1
Column count 1
Display Control Combo Box (“Text Box” on Players documenter
LimitToList False
ListRows 16
ListWidth 1440twip
RowSource SELECT [Equipos].[ID] FROM Equipos
RowSourceType Table/Query
ShowOnlyRowSourceValues False
It appears that, from absence of similar data, that JugadoresID column is NOT bound, and not to any RowSource in the JugadoresID column of the Jugadores datasheet which explains the empty JugadoresID column in the Players Notes datasheet. So how do we rectify this?

Also, does any information on these documenter sheets indicate what caused the lack of numerical order in the NotesID column of Players Notes datasheet?

I hope that any readers can follow this jumble of note-based recollections. I also sincerely hope this history of my inept struggles to resolve my problem will not cause experienced Access users to giggle so hard that they are rendered incapable of giving me a hand. And I certainly will appreciate any help offered.
Lynnwood