ChrisNewman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question using access to create document from multiple choice options

Hello

I currently write (very long) reports for work, which have a lot of standard text in them - but the standard text varies according to the client's history.

I want to create a report-writing application for myself, composed of series of yes/no/maybe buttons
    and depending on whether I click yes/no/maybe in each section, a different segment of text is inserted into the report.

ideally the application would be able to insert, or create, formatted text - such as headings, bullet point lists etc - I would need to be able to export this report into Word

I started out by making a table, with each section being a different field, and the various paragraph options as different cells in the field, but I am stuck at present on the basic functionality of "click button , insert text"

any pointers very gratefully received.
    Chris

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Do you want to be able to mix and match the various elements, such as combine item of section 1 from record 3 with item of section 7 from record 8? Do you want to save the constructed combinations in a table? Consider a single table of document elements:

RecID
    SectionCode
    Paragraph
    Select (Y/N - optional, depends on output method)

Now you can select any combination of elements. Options for output:

1. Report RecordSource: SELECT * FROM table WHERE Select = True;
    Then IIf expressions in texboxes for each section: IIf([SectionCode]="Section1", [Paragraph])

2. If you want to archive the composition, save the selected elements to another table:
    DocumentID
    SourceID
    DocDate
    RecordSource would be a query that joins the two tables and filters the report to the desired DocumentID and again, use IIf expressions in report textboxes.

The above is geared to a normalized data structure. If you prefer, the archive table can have a field for each section. Save the RecID to each field. Query would require multiple joins to the source table. Report textboxes would be bound to the fields of archive table instead of IIf expressions.

No idea how 'bullet point lists' would be handled.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ChrisNewman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks so much, I'll give this a go!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    More awake now. On second review, my suggestion for normalized structure of the archive table doesn't work. This also eliminates the approach of using recordset filtered by Select y/n field. All the data for one document needs to be in one record. This means archive table with field for each section. Each record would be one document constructed from the choices of the source table.

It's that or a CROSSTAB query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.