hjnash is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Database design question using one form to many tables that are not related.

I am building a budget tracking database, I will have as many as 12 different spending tables
    to use for tracking my expenses; example, Groceries, Autos, Recreation, so one. I however want
    to use one entry form and be able to select from the form the table (category) I will be updating.
    Any suggestions how I can do this?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why do you have a table for each expense? This means if you add a new expense category have to modify design of tables, queries, forms, reports.

Try a form with a tab control. Put a subform for each expense on pages of the tab control.

Have you considered off-the-shelf software instead of reinventing the wheel? I have used Quickbooks. It is a relatively inexpensive program and will track expenses, although I don't remember if it has budget tracking component.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I am learning Access for personal interest, I have made some small simple database systems now I want to expand to something more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why do you have a table for each expense? This means if you add a new expense category have to modify design of tables, queries, forms, reports.

Try a form with a tab control. Put a subform for each expense on pages of the tab control.

Have you considered off-the-shelf software instead of reinventing the wheel? I have used Quickbooks. It is a relatively inexpensive program and will track expenses, although I don't remember if it has budget tracking component.

June7 is online now VIP
    So why do you feel a separate table for each expense is needed?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I figured that would be cleaner to do reports and query's on.
    I originally was going to use one table and have a field for the
    Category I don't remember why I change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    So why do you feel a separate table for each expense is needed?

June7 is online now VIP
    You might find that separating the expenses actually complicates data entry and output design.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I think most experienced developers are going to agree with June7, here! An expense Table, with a 'category' Field, is the practical way to go. To make sure that the correct term is entered, for the expense category, I'd use a Combobox that is Bound to the Field in the underlying Table. This will prevent things like entering Autos, one time, and Auto another time, or even Cars. Having the correct category, for each Record, and a correct date, is all that you should need to pull Reports accurately.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I went back to using a field with Category and will experiment with that. I like the idea of using the combobox too.
    Thank You !!!

Just ran into the reason I stopped using the Category field and went to separate tables. The
    database is a budget spending database and I have to put a deposit into each Category
    so the spending in one category wont affect the balance of money in another category. I
    still prefer one table idea though! I will quit for now and think of what to try next.

June7 is online now VIP
    So you need a table of category budgets and a transactions table for payments.

Thanks June7, that is a good idea! I looked into linking two tables using many to many but I
    was not able to figure out what I had to do to make the relationship between the two tables
    I have a book I can see if there is more written than the short explanation. I have to figure how
    to make sure this wont lead to an error where a spending or deposit goes to the wrong place.

June7 is online now VIP
    Many-to-many requires a third 'junction' table.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    PMFJI,

I think there is a tutorial concerning business facts,table design, normalization and Entity Relationship Diagramming that could help you put the pieces together, before getting into comboboxes etc.

see http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/T...lationship.zip

Thanks for the input, I will check out the link and see what I can learn!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.