RobFlag is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Relationships - 1-1 or ???

Designing a database for a club that has 16 competive events each year. Currently have two tables, one with member info (name etc) and one with event info (date, scoring multiplier ect). I need to calculate a score for each event using the place that the entrant finished, the total number of entrants and a multiplier. The place field is in the member table, the other two variables are in the event table. I've created a query for each event that calculates the scores but can't seem to figure out how to combine data from those 16 queries into a single form/report. Guessing I'm going to need to do something with relationships but... Did a 30 min online vid course and can't seem to relate that to my situation.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

Additional Info:
    Member table fields: Name add etc, event1 place, event1 score, event2 place, event2 score, total score to date
    Event Table fields: EventNum (1-16), Event Name, Date, total participants, points multiplier.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Data structure is not normalized.

There are 16 events but the Member table allows for participation in only 2?

Need fields in Member table for EventNum. Then can join the two tables in query on the common EventNum. However, because Member data is not normalized this means joining with Event table twice, for each of the two event number fields that will be required.

This data is actually many-to-many. Each member can be in multiple events and each event will have multiple members.

Normalizing this data would mean a third table to associate members with events participated in and to record their place results.

Results
    MemberID
    EventID
    Place

The score is a calculated value and would not be field in table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RobFlag is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    My mistake, there are two fields for each event in the member table. Guess I really only need the one that identifies what place they came in for that event. Then allow the points to be calculated via the existing 16 queries. (Each query filters for a specific event number, then uses the total participants and multiplier associated with that record to calculate points).

So if I create a new "Results" table with the fields member ID (Membership number should work) and EventID (I've already defined 1-16) and Place (which would be drawn from the Member table, can that table also have fields for each event calculated points from the queries? Still not clear how I can combine the 16 query results on one form or report.

Appreciate your help!

(This used to be easier in Dbase III!)

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Data structure is not normalized.

There are 16 events but the Member table allows for participation in only 2?

Need fields in Member table for EventNum. Then can join the two tables in query on the common EventNum. However, because Member data is not normalized this means joining with Event table twice, for each of the two event number fields that will be required.

This data is actually many-to-many. Each member can be in multiple events and each event will have multiple members.

Normalizing this data would mean a third table to associate members with events participated in and to record their place results.

Results
    MemberID
    EventID
    Place

The score is a calculated value and would not be field in table.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't need 16 queries with normalized structure.

Do one aggregate (Totals) query that groups on the eventID.

Or maybe better, build a report that uses Grouping & Sorting with aggregate calcs in footer. Report will allow display of detail records as well as summary calculations.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.