msmithtlh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Calling a subform based on a condition

My primary data table (call it table "A") has only a few fields, one of which is "category." For most of the categories, the data in table "A" is all that is needed. For one category, however, there are over 30 additional fields. Therefore I set up a separate table for this "extended" data (table "B") and created a one-to-one relationship on record id. All this is working fine for most of what I need (update forms, reports, etc.)

I am attempting to create a data entry form for new records (only new records - separate form for updating), and I want to display the data from table "B" in a subform. Since this is for new records, a query isn't suitable for the data source. The main form for entering records for table "A" is working fine. How can I set up the subform to be "called" based on the category selected in the main form (table "A")? Based on one category, it needs to display the subform and create a new record in table "B" with the same record number as table "A.". I'm assuming this would need to be done with VBA code, and have made some attempts. My first (and I think biggest) problem is getting the record number assigned in table B to match the record number in table A. Also, getting the forms to display as a form/subform, not as 2 separate forms.

Thanks in advance for all help!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Doesn't setting the Master/Child links properties of subform container synchronize the records?

Set the subform container control Visible property to No.

Code in the main form Current event as well as the category combobox AfterUpdate event:

Me.subformcontainername.Visible = Me.category = "what is the category that applies?"

Record in subform will be initiated when data is entered into any field of the new record line. This should also populate the foreign key field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Looking through the properties on the subform, I don't see anything called Master/child links. Can you give some more details please on setting the links (where to find the properties, etc.) Thank you.

June7 is online now VIP
    Master/Child Links are properties of the subform container control. This control will be on the main form. The container can have a SourceObject of table, query, form, or report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I found the properties. However, because I am in an "add" mode, not an edit mode, after the record number on the main form (linked to table "A") fills in, I get a pop up error saying "The index or primary key cannot contain a null value." I've tried putting code on the properties of the record number in table "A" to transfer the value to the record number in table "B" but I keep getting the same error. If this were an update form, I wouldn't have this problem.

June7 is online now VIP
    I have suspicions of what cause of issue is but could take forever to talk our way through it. Might want to provide db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

I found what I needed in another post and got it working. Thanks for your help!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.