Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    No real reason to exit the form to enter new record. Same form can be used to view/edit existing and enter new records. That's what I do, but do what best suits your situation.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Rramjet is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    ooops, lost a lot off the head of my last post - don't know what happened there...

List Box no good - because it cannot be constrained to display a single client's records - it seems only a subform can do that.
    No matter how I alter the joins - or play with the structure as per your suggestions - the structure only works if I have it the way I have...

My understanding of how the combo box works in this respect is short of full (but it works) ...and you know the rest above...

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    A listbox can be constrained, same as a combobox can be.

RowSource for listbox named lbxSummary:

SELECT Respondent_Name, Date_Completed, Parent_or_Childcare_Provider FROM BITSEA WHERE Research_ID = Forms!BITSEA![Research_ID];

Code in form OnCurrent event (possibly in Research_ID combobox AfterUpdate event as well): Me.lbxSummary.Requery

Suggested settings for other listbox properties:
    Width 6"
    ColumnCount 3
    ColumnWidths 2";1";3"
    ColumnHeads Yes

Your 'workaround' sounds really klunky. Are you saying users have to go through those shenanigans? Exactly which form and related forms does this workaround involve?

I did some more work on the NotInList procedure on the BITSEA form. I set the Research_ID combobox LimitToList property as Yes and created a form for adding client record. Then created code as described in earlier referenced thread post 26. The client form opens and populates the Research_ID field and new record is saved but am still getting the 'Item not in list' error from the combobox. Problem is with the combobox RowSource that has an INNER JOIN between Clients and BITSEA tables.
    Last edited by June7; 03-10-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.