kpo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Networking and Access (pardon my newb-ness)

I built my first database a few months ago for company use to keep track of inventory in our warehouse. We will be using it in a multi-user environment so it is already split into a FE and BE with different FE copies for each different user/computer.

Currently the two offices are not networked by any means. We are using dropbox to store company files so we can access them from both offices and on the go.

My question is this, will other users be able to work in their respective FE copies if the BE is stored in dropbox? Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Or is there another way/easier way I can share the BE copy with another office?

Thanks in advance!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have not. I am not even sure what 'dropbox' means. If frontend can link to the backend tables, regardless of where BE is located, then go for it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you June7. I gave it a try and it is giving other users an error message; "cannot access it due to it may be on the same server it was created on".

Dropbox is an online "cloud" storage where different devices can access your files with correct login information.

I am going to start researching and learning about VPN's. I hope getting a VPN set up between the two offices with remedy the issue of the other office not being able to open Access database files. I am also going to check into Sharepoint.

Thanks again so much for your help! I truly appreciate it!!

Just an update. I found this article and it gave me a definitive answer for "sharing" databases via the internet. We will be looking into Sharepoint Online services.

"So you do not have Access 2010 and a Sharporint server. What can you do? If you place the back end on a web server, unfortunately you can not link to the tables from an Access front end over the internet."

http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php...:remote-access

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.