amd711 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Error linking to an access backend on a different computer

I had an access 2007 database splitted into a front and a back ends. the frontend was moved to other computers on the network so that they all will link to the one backend on the origional computer.

what i did on the frontend computer is:

1- omitted the tables.

2- external data >> import >> access >> browse (and chosed location of the backend from the network) >> "link to the data source by creating a linked table". >> ok ( and selected all tables from backend).

The problem is that when i press the button that leads to the first form which is bound to the first table i get this error:

run-time error '3276':
    invalid database object reference.

if i pressed debug, the following line gets highlighted:

DoCmd.OpenForm "family", acNormal

what am i doing wrong?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The backend is on a network server? The frontend is copied to multiple user computers? Does each user have the drive mapping that is defined by the table links you set? This 'fixed' path referencing is always a source of aggravation. Use UNC (universal naming convention) and the drive mapping is irrelevent. UNC is a relative path and uses the server name instead of a drive letter. It's structure is:

\\servername\folderpath\filename

Review https://www.accessforums.net/access/...end-27089.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amd711 is offline Novice
    The backend is on a network server?
    it is only five computers linked to each other by a network switch, tha backend is on one of them, which also has a frontend installed.

The frontend is copied to multiple user computers?
    Yes

Does each user have the drive mapping that is defined by the table links you set?
    i have no idea what that is !!! anyway, i am still unable to establish one connection. (out of the four )

June7 is offline VIP
    Drives are C:, D:, etc. A drive mapping to any folder on a shared network can be created using any letter (except A and B or any other letter taken by the system for hard drives, disc drives, etc). This is done from Windows Explorer > Tools > Map Network Drive.

I have set drive mapping to folders on other users computers that are connected by WAN through central server. The other users must set their folder as 'shared' and I need to know their workstation ID assigned by the network server. However, I am only familiar with network that has a dedicated central server. Sounds like in your situation a computer does dual duty as server and workstation. Your 'network switch' must have some way to identify each computer.

Access table links normally just reference drive\path\filename. If you move the frontend to another computer the fixed path reference no longer applies, Access can't find the backend. I have never tried to set table links to a backend on another workstation but I expect will be like what I experience with dedicated server. Each user must create the same drive mapping to the backend or frontend table links use UNC reference. I use a VBA procedure to set UNC references because it is easier than using the Links Manager. Code sample in the thread link referenced in earlier post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amd711 is offline Novice
    Access table links normally just reference drive\path\filename.
    forgive me if it is a silly question, but how is this done?

is it through "linked table manager" by clicking "Always prompt for new location".
    or as i described before: delete tables >> import >> access >> browse (and chosed location of the backend from the network) >> chose "link to the data source by creating a linked table". >> ok ( and selected all tables from backend).

June7 is offline VIP
    The import/link wizard will just use drive letter mapping. To use the link manager to set UNC review http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/lin...-t1084995.html

amd711 is offline Novice
    Thanks alot june7

I linked the tables using UNC but the error continued to show up because it has nothing to do with it. anyway, I solved it.
    The reason is that the shared folder that contains the backend which is on the main PC was set as "read only", it can be seen by the other computers but it won't allow for changes to its contents, as a result, "the backend".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.