mikajake is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Multiple Companies Same Invoice

Is it possible to assign 3 seperate companies to one invoice with each company providing possibly more than one service (each service has its own rate) and then show a report displaying values sorted by the company, then by the service and a total value of all services performed? l have tried many ways to no avail. We currently use excel...one spreadsheet for the bill of lading recaps and one spreadsheet for the paysheets. There is the possiblity of mistyping data when transferring totals so we want to put it in one database.

I and answer more questions if neccessary.

Dave
    Last edited by mikajake; 02-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    How are you doing this in Excel? That may give you some ideas for how it could be done in Access. I don't know you experience/expertise in Excel vs Access, nor do I have any feel for where your proposed database may/should fit with the current system. Perhaps you could tell us more and then readers can offer more focused advice.

If you are planning on keeping both the current excel and some "special database" to solve an invoicing issue, then I think you are in for some additional issues related to multiple copies of data. Some form of synchronization seems mandatory.
    If you are planning replacing the Excel with a new Access application, then make sure you fully understand the scope of such an undertaking.

You haven't mentioned how payments are done or any link/interconnectivity with a Finance or Personnel system, but these things are often intertwined.

As for your specific question -- I think you would have to consider something like a Project and subProject where each subproject could have different Suppliers with different Rates etc. (Could be a Task and subTask...) but I think each Supplier (service company) would get a separate invoice. It may be that the Bill of Lading gets broken into pieces such that each (service company) gets there own relevant part (subBill of Lading). I'm just throwing these out for discussion/consideration. With more details of your general plans and current procedures, there may be some more obvious approach.

mikajake is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I have attached a screener of the input screen and then the seperate excel sheet (one for each contractor) and each hauler.
    We enter the Bills of Ladings as you see. Total them up and then use those total for the recaps for each customer. The end user for the most part is approx 65 and is trying to reduce his time to do the books. I myself wanted to do this years ago, but he liked it the way he was doing it. Now he wants to be able to look up any contractor at any time and see what they earned or what ever info he needs to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_06 Feb. 23 14.17.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	11273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_07 Feb. 23 14.17.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	11274

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    As far as the many customers per invoice, that would not be that hard. I would take a customer/client approach so One main customer on the invoice could have many clients or subcustomers for that invoice. Now, when it comes to payments, it is as Orange said, a lot more details would have to be provided to even begin to give you direction. You need to provide us with your level of access expertise and way more details if we are to help.The invoice screenshot is simple enough for ONE customer but for more it will be a challenge. As far as the other screenshot, those fields have no meaning to us! We see totals yes, but with no explanation as to why and how or what and when!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.