mercapto is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Assign a value to multiple records in a totals query

I assume this task has to be made through vba, so I'll place my question in here.

I have to fill the same value for 30-40 records that belong to the same client (and again for other clients).

As usual, the totals query doesn't allow me to edit any field. So I figured a continuous form showing a short list of my clients, with an independent field in which I fill the value and, through code, this value is asigned to all records belonging to the same client.

As many of you should know right now, independent fields are not a good deal in a continuous form. A field in the recordset is necesary to record the data. The issue is that I "can't" store data in the field because it's a totals query.

Any ideas??

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by mercapto View Post
    I have to fill the same value for 30-40 records that belong to the same client (and again for other clients).
    Till some one comes along,
    Is above within the same table ?

Thanks

Yes, it is in the same table. But the where condition comes from a table bounded to another table that is bounded to the referred table:
    ANALYSIS REPORT - SAMPLE ORIGIN - CLIENT
    Thanks.

No one?? Any alternatives?

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I am not really understanding your intent. However if I do understand some of it. You could have a total query tied to combo box. Then use an expression in your main forms query row source. Like totvalue:dlookup("fieldname","query name","Id=" & forms!formname!comboname )

this way you will have an updatable source with the total in it.

you could use a subquery as well.. but not sure if your comfortable with that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, alcapps.
    I must explain that when I say "totals query", I really mean a query with many "group-byes". I am not calculating any value.
    Actually, what I want to do is to store the date where I present my work to a certain client. Since I have many works (records) that are presented to only one client the same day, I believe this task should be automatized. I also want this form to control which works have not been presented yet. That's why I want a continuous form.
    Alcapps, I don't understand how a combo box could help me, the issue is in the input field, I don't know how to input this date, because neither independent, nor dependent fields are working.

I already tried subqueries. I thought It was going to work, but it didn't...

Sorry for my english.

alcapps is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    yes so if you had a combo box with your clients in it you could use that as the key to create your records.

you would do an update query using the combo box as you criteria and change the dates.

sql = "update table set date field = #" & date from text box & "# where clentID =" & me.combobox

hope this helps

All right, allcaps, but I still can't figure out how to enter the date. Unless I use one only field, with one only combo as you describe. And that's not what I am looking for, as I said, I want to have a view of all the records. In a continuous form, with the procedure you described, I will still have the same problem with the date field.

... And while I am writing this lines I am having the idea to use a listbox rather than a combobox!! This way I could perform it as you suggested, and having a view of al my records.

It could work... I'll be back.

It did work.

I used a lisbox and placed a text below to capture with dblclick the record I want to edit. Afterwards, I can run any query with code using the data in the listbox and entering the date individually for every record.

It's not what I asked, but is what I wanted. Solved.

Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.