I'm writing the software in access now. I'm planning to split the db and host it online at an MSSQL server. Possibly at Google or at another hosting company. I'm going to Google apps for business for our exchange server and document hosting.

In my database, I'm using picture controls to refer to images stored in a separate folder structure to save size in the db. I'm also using the output to to automatically open an email when you click on the email address in a contacts profile. It currently automatically opens an email using outlook with the recipient info filled in.

If I eliminated Outlook, since I'm getting rid of the in-house exchange server, could I still use the output to? If I'm building contact management into my Access software, can it communicate/collaborate with Google's contacts? Could I send calendar info between one and the other? If I'm hosting all these pictures at a google shared online drive, will there be any problem referring to them in my picture controls?

Just hoping to avoid the pitfalls if anyone else has already made this move before. Any input appreciated.

For that matter, any opinions on whether I have to go with a MS SQL server? Can I go with HyperSQL?