prichardson is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Remove close duplicates from query

I have a database where one record voids another record by placing a negative amount in the amount field (so basically a refund was given for that transaction). I don't want to include these two transactions in a transaction count ( i realize sum of the field will zero out - I need a count of good transactions).

So when comparing to records - if all fields are equal (bar - ID, Date and Amount - one field value is the negative of the other) I want to ignore these two records in my query.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Void Transaction.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	11188

Sorry I realize this database is NOT normalized but it's how I get the data monthly... Thank you.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If the items you showed were transaction records, then I would expect a transaction count to show 2 transactions. So it isn't really a transaction count that you want.
    So in 1 or 2 lines what exactly do you want? Forget Access and sums etc and in plain English just tell us what you would like.

In many systems the incoming data gets formatted/converted into appropriate tables/transactions/streams for processing.

prichardson is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    If the items you showed were transaction records, then I would expect a transaction count to show 2 transactions. So it isn't really a transaction count that you want.
    So in 1 or 2 lines what exactly do you want? Forget Access and sums etc and in plain English just tell us what you would like.

In many systems the incoming data gets formatted/converted into appropriate tables/transactions/streams for processing.

I need to count records. If one record has a duplicate record like my image I don't want to count either of them..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.