jderrig is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Dsum totals query and between date parameter not working

Here is my issue in greater detail. Sorry for not being more specific...I've tried Dsum, Davg, Dlookup and nothing works correctly.

I have a totals query that is I have a DSum field where I want to sum only the field in these column where the salary expense is greater than 0: GrossRev. Since I don't have PersonnelExp for every account listing, it's skewing the true personnel expense as a percent of gross revenue. (I have other fields that I need to sum all the values in the column regardless of zero values)

Totals Query:
    GrossRev: DSum("[GrossRevenue]","**Single account ","[Salary/BenefitExp] > 0")

The Totals Query is pulling from another query where I have filtered based on two parameters from a form where I can select the data between two years to give me the results.

**Single Account query:
    Between [forms]![frmSingleAcctGraph]![Year 1] And [forms]![frmSingleAcctGraph]![Year2]

The DSum field is not producing the correct calculations.

Attached is a sample db.

When you open frmSingleAcctGraph and select just one year, you get the right GrossRev amount - 94985997 (which is the last column). It's when I select both years 2007 and 2008 from form and the last GrossRev column simply sums the the two years together and repeats the same total for each - 148930091.

The **Graph Output Single account query isn't recognizing the filter from on the **Single account query which is Between [forms]![frmSingleAcctGraph]![Year 1] And [forms]![frmSingleAcctGraph]![Year2]
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I can't review db files until after Feb 22. If you still need help then, submit post.

Why do you show ** characters in the data source name? It is bad practice to use spaces, special characters, punctuation (underscore is exception) in any names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Unfortunately, it's a legacy system and I don't have time to update it...perhaps some day. I haven't found a solution yet so any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    The acEdit parameter for the OpenQuery is meaningless because query is an aggregate and aggregate queries are by their nature not editable.

The SingleAccount query has #Error for the LocalNetWorth calc in two records due to division by 0.

Problem is the GrossRev figure is a DSum expression that sums the records regardless of the year. Use:
    GrossRev: DSum("[GrossRevenue]","**Single account ","[Salary/BenefitExp] > 0 AND [Year]=" & [Year])

or change the Total row to Sum and the expression to:
    GrossRev: IIf([Salary/BenefitExp]>0,[GrossRevenue],0)

Year is a reserved word, advise not to use reserved words as names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks, I tried both and it still totals the entire gross revenue column instead of only the totals of gross revenue where salary is greater than 0.

June7 is offline VIP
    The edits worked for me.

Wait, need to put the query name within [] because of the spaces and special characters and you have an extraneous space at end of the query name. I am surprised anything returns with that syntax.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you, that seemed to work.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.