abatsch23 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Filtering records on a report based on a check box selection

First off I'm not too savvy on Access due to not using it since 2004. I have the basics down as far as creating a table, form and report. I am creating a simple database that will track the trailers that come in to the yard and where they are located on the yard or at the dock doors. The trouble I am having is I am unsure how to go about not having the trailers that are completed and departed to not show up on the report. I have a check box (yes/no) to update the record if it is departed or not. If the check box is checked for the trailer being departed, I would not like it on the report anymore. Any info on if this is the easiest way about this or where to go next would help out tremendously.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Not enough info about your data structure. Could be as simple as filter criteria under that yes/no field: =False

You might investigate the Microsoft Lending Library database template. Maybe adaptable to track your trailers coming and going. Unfortunately, seems 2003 version is hard to find (if it ever existed). I tried converting 2007 version but don't have 2003 to test it. If you want to try, download from https://www.box.com/s/hl92irgxx4g7bh9f21gy
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok, everything is saved into one table. The fields are trailer number, location (we have two buildings), dock, arrival date, vendor, PO number and departed. All of this is updated with one form (for the time being). I also made a report to view everything that has been entered into the table. I would like the report to only show the trailers still at the dock(or on yard) based on the check box selection. I have it set to the yes/no function. It could be as easy as your saying, I just don't know my way around the program well enough yet. I hope that is the info you were looking for. Thanks.

June7 is offline VIP
    Do you mean 'set to the yes/no datatype'?
    My advice is the same. Have you tried filter?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Correct, the datatype is what I was talking about with the yes/no. I wasn't at work to know the terminology. So I set up a filter for my table on the coulumn for the check box and save it. I went through some sample records and checked half of the boxes but I am still ending up with the same results. I am not too familiar with how to set up filters, so maybe that is where I could use the help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I guess I should explain how I went about trying to filter. I opened up the table and right clicked on the column I wanted to filter by and then clicked "filter by selection".

June7 is offline VIP
    Best to create query and apply filter in the query design and use query as form/report RecordSource. Can't rely on the table filter/sort passing through to form/report.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks, I'll try that.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok so I made a filter in a query and it still was not working. The problem was that I did not have the "filter on" property in the report set correctly. It works perfectly now. Thanks so much for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.