kelkan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

select record on multi item form and add that data as a new record in another table

I have multiple tables in my database. I have tblEmployees with employee data. tblCourses lists course information. tblDates lists all the available dates for each course listed in tblCourses. Finally, I have tblTraining that combines those tables and lists what training is scheduled/completed by each employee. I am trying to create a multi-item form based on the tblDates information. I want to be able to select a specific course (combobox?) and have the form filtered to list only that course. Then, I want to be able to click on a specific class/date/time and add that record to an employee in tblTraining. Suggestions on how to do that?

June7 is online now VIP
    Use form/subform arrangement.

What is tblDates for?

Build a filter into the main form (bound to tblDates or tblCourses?). Review http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...tomfilter.html

Bind subform to tblTraning with Master/Child links synchronizing records to main form. Have a combobox to select the employee.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

kelkan is offline Novice
    I tried to put the class dates in the tblTraining but there are many class dates for each class....it seemed easiest to create a separate table and have a relationship between the two.

So, how do I get the record I select to add a new record to tblTraining?

June7 is online now VIP
    Bind the subform to tblTraining. Select employee from combobox. The PK from main form will automatically save as FK to the record in the linked subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.