gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007

err msg "could not update, locked by anothr------"

I have a single form. When an item is selected by a combo box on the form, its id is inserted into a field on the main form for use in calculations later.

To make changes in the combo box source table, the user can click a button that opens a popup form that contains a list of Sail types and numerical factors. Fields are locked.

After the user enters a password, the subform unlocks the factor field to permit changes.

My problem is that when I close the popup form after a change, I get the message "Could not update, locked by another session on this machine".

There is no other "session". I have two similar setups for other Sail types and neither gives me this problem.. I even recreated the pop up source table and the popup form and same problem. Must be related to the main form, but how?

One thing I tried, from another help site was to modify code opening the sub from the main form to show "If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False." Didn't help. I couldn't find anything else that applied to this situation.

I am using A2007. All tables are linked to a separate file holding only tables. No one else is using tables when error message occurs.
    Any help much much appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Want to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for quick reply. I "solved" it by creating a new master form, just copying controls from the old one to the new one -works fine. After comparing "bad vs good", I found that, somehow, the master form's Record Locks property of "bad" was set to "Lock on Edit". I don't know how that happened, or understand how that relates to the problem or the error message. I have never used that property, but it was there and I must have inadvertently set it.

Thanks again and thanks for pointing me at that article on debugging. Unlike many such writeups, very clear.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.