sherryb41 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Creating Login with Template - PLEASE HELP!

I now see I posted this in the general area instead of the programming area and am moving it to here. I am running Windows XP in and Office 2010 in 32 bit on my 2nd pc where this db is located.

I need some help, please. I am not a total novice, but have some experience, yet have never learned VBA. I am taking someone's template that I found on a forum (forgive me, but I forgot who made it), and trying to modify it to fit my need. I sometimes need to be told exactly what to do and where to do it, not just hints. Anyway, this is not yet working so if anyone can help me fix it I appreciate it very much. It was created in 2003 or before and I am trying to use it in 2010.

I am uploading the database. I think the switchboard_lev1 (thru 4) forms need the VBA modified, but I am not sure what and where. Then I plan to change their looks. Is there any code that is not compatible or is better changed to suit 2010 and future versions.

I understand what most of the code in frm_Main is doing and the module, but now I am stumped by the code in the switchboard forms.

This project is at least 6 months behind because I am learning how to modify this code, so any help is appreciated. I have at least 7 databases that need to be updated to 2010 and include this login to provide minimal security because of untrained users. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I guess switchboards have their benefits (maybe with web database) but I don't like them because they use macros and I don't use macros, only VBA. However, your switchboards don't seem to be fully macro driven. Not sure what you have here. The button clicks definitely aren't working.

What exactly is not working for you? What has you stumped?

Personally, I would not have a separate switchboard for each permission level. I would use code to control what buttons are available to users.

Why are user IDs and passwords displayed on form_main?

Login form is a common topic. Search forum or google. Start with https://www.accessforums.net/forms/m...orm-24841.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

qa12dx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    here is how i'd do it.

open the user table to see the id and pass. enter in the log on form and vola. also notice i keep the log on form open but hidden so i can refference it to open different menu/forms according to user level....

hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I guess switchboards have their benefits (maybe with web database) but I don't like them because they use macros and I don't use macros, only VBA. However, your switchboards don't seem to be fully macro driven. Not sure what you have here. The button clicks definitely aren't working.

What exactly is not working for you? What has you stumped?

Personally, I would not have a separate switchboard for each permission level. I would use code to control what buttons are available to users.

Why are user IDs and passwords displayed on form_main?

Login form is a common topic. Search forum or google. Start with https://www.accessforums.net/forms/m...orm-24841.html
    Jun7e, thank you for your response. Yes, I searched the internet and forums for answers for many months before deciding to post here. The reason I am doing it the way I am is because I did not know how to do it without help. After extensive searching I found a template that I could modify. I have spent considerable hours on it so far. With no previous VBA knowledge I have learn half of what is inside this database, but need help understanding the VBA inside the switchboard forms so I can make the switchboards different, as they are now exactly alike.

Why are they users and passwords displayed on the form? Depends on what you mean by displayed. I could have locked it all down and hid it all before sending it to you, but that is too much trouble in the middle of creating this. I need to work on it and want it all visible while I am.

I will upload a copy of the VBA from frm_users that shows my explanation of what is happening. Don't be too critical, as I am self taught on VBA the last few weeks. I will also upload the other VBA from the switchboards that needs the same notations so that I can understand what is happening, so that I can make changes needed.

I believe that even though what I have may not be the best solution,I'd like to take the quickest solution to finish it.

I know that the buttons are not working because I have not yet created the tables and forms. I have to first understand the code and fix all the switchboards before I import the other stuff. I want my template to be finished as I will use it for 6 other databases. I have to do something else first and then will come back and upload my notes.

June7 is offline VIP
    As stated, I don't use switchboards. I know how they work but find them confusing to deal with. I just build 'menu' form with buttons and VBA code, no macros and no switchboard tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Still need help

Main Form VBA notes 2.zipSwitchboard Lev VBA.ziplogin_demo 012413.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    As stated, I don't use switchboards. I know how they work but find them confusing to deal with. I just build 'menu' form with buttons and VBA code, no macros and no switchboard tables.

Is there anyone else around that can help me or should I repost in a different area, like security?

I am adding the VBA codes that needs help. The one for the main form, I somewhat understand, as noted in my yellow notes. The one for the switchboards I don't understand what it is doing as noted by my red notes.

Anyone understand VBA feel free to help this helpless newbie. TIA.
    Last edited by sherryb41; 02-01-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: adding VBA code that needs help

June7 is offline VIP
    You already have two experienced users responding. I don't think a repeat posting will draw more and repeat posting of topic is not viewed kindly by forum etiquette. If you want, the thread can be moved to another area.

You have posted a broad request to 'help me understand code' without identifying a specific issue for us to respond to. Regardless, we have tried to offer advice and examples adequate to customize for your needs. Sometimes modifying a template is not worth it. A template can certainly be a source of ideas but might be easier and more productive to build from scratch. Will learn a lot that way as well and then you really, really KNOW your db.

My advice is to not use switchboard design unless you really must. Then will just have to study it until it makes sense. Google: Access switchboard
    http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/dat...witchboard.htm
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/w...les/33793.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001213876.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005188732.aspx

What did you think of qa12dx example in post 3?

Here is another good tutorial on multi-user permissions http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microso...ns-system.html

My apologies if I have offended anyone.
    QA12DX:
    Thank you. I guess I am a novice, too, but we can learn from each other. It appears to me that yours does the same exact thing as mine, only mine has the forms attached to give menus for each level of access. Did I miss any additional information I need to note on your example? I don't know how to view the vba if it is not attached to an event. I have opened the vba window and it is blank. I am not very experienced in VBA or its windows.

June7: Thanks for your valuable time. I understand that in 2010 using the switchboard manager is discouraged, so I have chosen to not use it. Instead I am using my own tables and forms to create a login environment. I might not be choosing the best way, but am using the only template that I could get working after reading and trying many of them. Each one takes a long, long time.

I am currently reading the last example you shared. It will probably take a while to create it and modify it, so then I can get back to here for advice. So far it seems to do exactly what I have done, only it uses different names and the code is slightly different. I wish I could get the code all together in a database (accdb) that works so that I would only need to modify it to fit my needs. Seems most examples are years old and in mdb format and have issues with Access 2010 and windows 7, which is the environment this will be used.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.