cuylersmith is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Find out if a particular button is pressed from another control that has focus.

Hi everyone,

I have code that requires data to be entered in two controls. I test this by using the following example code:

Private Sub ctlTruckCoName_LostFocus()
    If IsNull(ctlTruckCoName) Then
    strWarning = "Please either ENTER a Trucking Company Name" & Chr(10) & Chr(13) & Chr(13) _
    & "or CLICK the 'Exit Add Trucker/Vehicle' Button."
    MsgBox strWarning, vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No Trucking Company Name."
    Me.cmdCancelAdd.SetFocus

End If
    End Sub

I have an exit button on the form that exits and returns to a control form without saving or doing any thing with any changes in this form. In the code above you will see that I change the focus from the ctlTruckCoName control to the cmdCancelAdd control. This avoids a circular situation in nothing entered in the control would continually move back to the field.

What I wish to happen is this code is executed any time focus is moved to a different control other than the cmdCancelAdd control. If the cmdCancelAdd control is clicked I wish to exit the form without the above code being exercised. I would also like the above code executed and focus returned to the ctlTruckCoName control anytime focus tries to move to a control other than the cmdCancelAdd control.

I don't know if there is a way to tell from an active control what control was clicked, but that seems to be what I need to do. If I knew the cmdCancelAdd button (control) had been pressed while the ctlTruckCoName control has the focus I could then skip executing this code.

Is there a way to do this?

Cuyler Smith

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It is easy to detect the state of a radio button, checkbox, or toggle button but other controls don't have a 'state' or yes/no (on/off). Could use a global variable or an unbound textbox that gets populated if a command button is clicked. That variable could be accessed by any procedure.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Validation code to insure that a Control is populated (has data in it) cannot be done using an event associated with that Control. What good does having this kind of Validation code in the ctlTruckCoName_LostFocus event if the user never moves into the ctlTruckCoName_LostFocus Control? The Record can be saved without the Required data!

This type of Validation code has to be in the Form_BeforeUpdate event. Here's an example that checks for data in two Controls, but can be expanded, as needed:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If Nz(Me.Control1,"") = "" Then
       MsgBox "Control1 Must Not Be Left Blank!"
       Cancel = True
       Control1.SetFocus
       Exit Sub
     End If

If Nz(Me.Control2, "") = "" Then
       MsgBox "Control2 Must Not Be Left Blank!"
       Cancel = True
       Control2.SetFocus
       Exit Sub
     End If

End Sub

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.