deso is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

sort duplicate data / pivot table or query?

Hi guys, I want to sort duplicate data. I'm working with a groundwater database that has data on thousands of bores. Each bore has an ID. For each bore there are multiple geological logs (log) at different depths (each bore ID is duplicated for each depth log). Because the database has been poorly set up, the logs for each bore ID are not in numerical order (i.e. when you look at the data for one bore, the logs are listed in random depth order). This is pointless for a hydrogeologist. I need to put all logs in ascending order of depth for each bore. I can use a pivot table to do this, and it works fine, but in access the pivot table is just a view, not an actual table. I need to make the pivot table an actual table, that I can then join with other tables. If I try and sort the data using a query it sorts every depth log into ascending order, regardless of which bore ID they belong to. I need the depth logs sorted for each bore ID.

So - can I export pivot table views to an actual access table (like the make table function for query results)?; or
    - can i run a query that will sort the depth log data within each bore ID field?

cheers

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Use a query to sort records by multiple criteria. The depth info is in a number field?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

deso is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thanks June7, worked perfectly. I knew it would be something simple that I hadn't figured out yet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.