Coolpapabell is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Front ends apps in split applications

I know that a lot depends on network capacity and server strength but is it typically faster to leave the front ends on the server or workstation?

I've always kept my front ends on the workstations with the back ends on the server but my biggest performance issue right now with my access apps seems to be the network.

All tables are in the back ends
    Everything else is in the front end, forms, queries, macros, reports...

I have 2 now aging dell poweredge 4200 servers, a 1 mbps network and apps that have 2-5 concurrent users.
    Thank you kindly

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows XP Access 2002
    You may find this link helpful and 1 mbps network is slow. My guess is it is really 100 mbps.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Having the front end on the server is actually detremental to the performance of the application because not only do Access have to bring accross the data it also has to bring over the application front end. Also each user should have their own front end as an entry point. Using a shared entry point can lead to corruption.

David

Coolpapabell is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrake View Post
    Having the front end on the server is actually detremental to the performance of the application because not only do Access have to bring accross the data it also has to bring over the application front end. Also each user should have their own front end as an entry point. Using a shared entry point can lead to corruption.

David
    I currently do have the front ends on the individual workstations but I was wondering if you could expand on the unique entry points...

If each user in a group has an identical front end application which links to the same tables how would you create unique access points?

Thanks again,
    Ari

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    By giving each user a copy of the front end which resides on their machine you have given them a unique entry point. Placing the front end on a server is like having a revolving door, Yes only one person can get in at a time but there is going to be congestion, either waiting to get in or hanging around once inside. It's this congestion that leads to corruption.

Because each user logs in from their own machine you can trap the machine name and log this for audit trails if neccessary. Also if a person tries to open a second or subsequent session of the program you can check to see if the machine name is already logged flagged as being logged in, and as such deny access to the new session. Again this may not be critical in your situation, but for other readers this may be relevant.

David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.